Should I Allow my PS to Remove Silicone Implants That Are Under the Muscle Using Just Local and Not Removing the Capsule?

I have Allergan, HP, 320, placed under the muscle two years ago. I am a muscular, small woman, who had very little breast tissue to begin with. I really just want them out. I am more confident about being small-chested. My experienced PS told me he has only removed from two women without replacement. He told me because mine are soft, with very little capsule formation, he could remove under local without removing any capsules, or needing a lift. Should I allow the capsule to remain? Thanks.

Breast implant removal

+1

If your implants are just too big and there are no capsular contracture issues or implant rupture concerns, simply removing them without the capsules is fine.

Capsuletomy or not

+1

If the capsule is removed it increases the risk of bleeding.  If a silicone gel implant has ruptured then removal of the capsule would be recommended otherwise I would leave it alone unless it was calcified.  If there is distortion of the breast after implant removal may also be a reason to remove the capsule.  The capsule probably never fully gets resorbed and refinements will be there for a long time.  This would not cause a health risk.

Removal of Breast Implants under Local Anesthesia?

+1

Generally speaking, removing breast implants (saline or silicone), assuming no additional work is necessary on the breast implant capsules or skin, is well tolerated by most patients. However,  if patients feel that they would be more comfortable (with less anxiety) they may be better off having the breast implants removed with additional anesthesia on board.

I would also agree with your plastic surgeon, and that if the breast implant capsules are soft,  not thickened and  you are asymptomatic, then capsule removal should not be necessary.

Discuss your concerns and anxiety level with your plastic surgeon to determine the best course of action for your individual case.