My PS is Not Making Me Feel Very Comfortable and Surgery Date is Next Week, What Should I Do?

My PS says that I have "almost tuberous" breasts and I'm planning on getting 450ccs of mod+ profile saline implants. In my last consult, I was extremely adamant about having natural looking implants (a ski-slope, not a shelf) and said that I wanted lots of lower pole fullness...he says that because my nipple is so close to my crease, I can't get the result I want.I asked about lowering the crease and he basically ignored me.. My surgery is in a week and I do NOT want torpedo titties! Any advice?

Concerned about my scheduled surgery

+1

As a general principle when you are uncertain or insecure about either your choice of a Plastic Surgeon, or of a procedure, don't go forward with your scheduled surgery.  you need to feel comfortable with the chosen procedure for your hopeful improvement in your breast shape.  Be aware that this is a two way street, and your Plastic Surgeon should also have the same opportunity to cancel your surgery if you desire doing something that may be unreasonable.  Your choice of breast implant sizes may be too large, for instance, to give you the best shape possible.

Delayyour planned surgery for the time being.

Frank Rieger M.D.  Tampa Plastic Surgeon

Torpedo breast

+1

It sounds like you need to talk with your doctor before surgery to make sure he is doing what you want . The doctor needs to speak with you to help you understand what is possible.

Discuss it with your current doctor first and if you are still not satisfied get another opinion from a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Walter D. Gracia, MD
Arlington Plastic Surgeon

Put your mind at ease before the surgery

+1

If you are not confident and comfortable, return for as many preoperative visits as you need until you feel comfortable and you and your surgeon are on the same page.  If your frustrations continue and you get a bad feeling, then consider postponing until you feel better about.  You have to trust your surgeon and have confidence that he is going to do his best to make it the way you want it.  That may or may not be possible but the communication should be upfront and clear beforehand what can and can't be done. I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

You have to feel confident in your breast augmentation doctor.

+1

You have to feel confident in your breast augmentation doctor.  If you feel like your concerns are not being addressed then you need to spend more time talking with your plastic surgeon.

The correction of  a "tuberous" breast is to lower the fold and separate the tissue to allow the skin to stretch out.  Make sure your doctor has experience in treating patients with your type of breasts.

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Lack of Communication

+1

Besides an unexpected complication, lack of communication and not having the patients expectations met is the number one reason for an unhappy patient. I feel there is a lack of understanding on your part as to what can be done or poor communication from your surgeon. Either return to your surgeon and have a better understanding and appropriate expectations or do not proceed with your surgery. I am fearful you will not be happy and that is the last thing yor surgeon wants. Your surgery (tuberous breasts) can be difficult  surgically.

Scott R. Brundage, MD
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Cancel surgery

+1

do not do the surgery unless you are comfortable.  it may simply be a communication problem.but do not go ahead unless you are in agreement as to the posible results.  either meet with him again or get a second opinion

Jonathan Saunders, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon

If you do not feel comfortable with your surgeon???

+1

When having any type of surgery you MUST feel comfortable with your surgeon.  You need to speak with him before your surgery- perhaps even delay it and get another opinion.  However, if you do have anatomical issues that prevent you from achieving your ideal result, you need to fully understand what these limitations are.  If your surgeon has failed to communicate this effectively, again- get another opinion. 

Bruce Genter, MD
Abington Plastic Surgeon

Being informed and comfortable with your surgeon before surgery

+1

It is extremely important for you to have confidence in the surgical plan and the surgeon prior to embarking on surgery. I would recommend that you schedule another consultation with your current plastic surgeon prior to surgery (eventhough it is only a week away) and explain your concerns and reservations. If you are unable to get an appointment before surgery, delaying your procedure until you are completely comfortable and at ease with your surgeon is very important. I would not recommend proceeding with a procedure that you have so many reservations and questions about.

Antonio Gayoso, MD
Saint Petersburg Plastic Surgeon

Delay Surgery

+1

Just because you don't seem to see eye to eye with your surgeon is reason enough to postpone the procedure so you two have more time to discuss the breast augmentation and to discuss how you want to look after.  You may want to seek the opinion of another surgeon as well.

In general if there is a short distance from the nipple to the fold, which is part of the tuberous breast problem, this will limit the amount of fullness of the lower part of the breast because there is less skin to stretch.  Placing a more conservative size implant will need less stretching of this skin and a more conservative size implant is what I recommend to patients with this issue.  A larger implant will tend to give more superior fullness since the lower portion will not stretch as much as you want.  This will have the opposite effect from what you want.

Don't proceed if you are not comfortable because you will not be happy after the surgery.  Thank you for your question and good luck.

Ralph R. Garramone, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Get Surgery Or Not

+1

It's hard to comment on what you can expect without good photographs of the anatomy. But you are definitely not ready for surgery. Most surgeons are very careful to assure themselves and their patients that the patient's expectations of the outcome are very realistic. I don't think you are there yet and if you undergo surgery without that having been settled you are bound for disappointment with your results.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD