My PS Said I Was Going to Be Able to Do Zumba 4 Weeks Post Op. Is This True?

I'm going in on Dec 3rd, for a TT and getting my muscles repaired. He said by 4 weeks I would be able to continue doing my Zumba. Is this realistic and if not why whould he say that? I'm 5'4" weight 135 pounds, in good health, I work out 5 days a week and been on weight watchers for 6 months now. (lost 41 pounds).

Exercise after Tummy Tuck

+1

Exercise of a strenuous nature can usually be resumed 6 weeks following an uncomplicated tummy tuck.  At 6 weeks, the scar has reached nearly full strength, and risk of wound separation is much reduced.

Zumba 4 Weeks Post Op. Is This True?

+1

Most surgeons permit return to full activities by six weeks after surgery.

The basis for that is the return of strength to the healing muscle repair and skin incisions. By 6 weeks, the strength is about 90% of the strength that will be achieved. 

I let patients walk as much as they want starting the day of surgeon, and gradually begin a return to activities that don't particularly stress the abdomen at 3-4 weeks. Full activity can then resume at six weeks. 

Thanks for your question, best wishes. 

Post op

+1

I am not sure that you will be able to do the ZUMBA at full speed four weeks after surgery but you should be able to resume most of your pre operative activities

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck Recovery

+1

While you will not be 100% at 4 weeks after surgery, you will be able to be active.  Every patient is different and we would need to know more about you, examine you, know what was planned for surgery, etc, to give you a good estimate.  Even with that said, since every patient is different, there is no way for anyone to predict accurately when you can return to activity.  A doctor can only give their best estimate.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Zumba after 4 weeks?

+1

Thanks for the question. It is entirely possible for you to do Zumba at 4 weeks after a tummy tuck. You probably won't be 100 % and a bit sore at first so you might wan to wait until you do feel much better. Best of luck, Dr. Aldo.

Aldo Guerra, MD

Zumba 4 weeks after tummy tuck may be a bit aggressive!

+1

Your plastic surgeon is certainly entitled to his/her own post-op return-to-activity guidelines, and this is not "off-the-wall crazy" but IS a bit on the aggressive side. I too agree that most activities, and even some exercise is allowed at 4 weeks after uneventful tummy tuck, but would recommend nothing that involves sit-ups, crunches, or strenuous abdominal musculature activity for a full 6 weeks.

You really don't want to tear your abdominal wall (muscle repair) sutures and end up causing a recurrent poochy belly or even a hernia!

Ultimately, you have to either believe and follow your surgeon's advice, or end up going back to him/her if there is a problem. Find out who's responsible for what in terms of $$ and that may help you make your decision about returning to activities a bit too soon! Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

When can you start strenuous exercise after an abdominoplasty

+1

In general you can expect to be back to most normal activities by 4 - 6 weeks after an abdominoplasty.   I usually tell patients to take it slow at first and see what your level of tolerance is to exercise.  You may find that you are very sore after this type of activity.  Your plastic surgeon is in the best position to give you advice about when exercise is appropriate.  

Returning to Zumba or heavy workouts after tummy tuck

+1

Returning to something as strenuous as Zumba at 4 weeks is overly optimistic.  You want to let those abdominal muscles heal, and they won't even be at full strength until 6 weeks (based on scar healing studies).  I would say 6 weeks would be the earliest you would want to restart aggressive workouts.  You might find that you can perform lighter cardio exercises earlier than that, but don't push it.  I've had patients over-exert themselves and compromise their result.  Take your time to heal and let your body be your guide.

Brian Dorner, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Zumba

+1

i may be quite conservative, but i tell my patients 6-8 weeks before heavy exercise.i dont want them injuring the abdominal wall reconstruction.

Jonathan Saunders, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon