My Platelet Count is 124. Is This a Risky Value for a Full Abdominoplasty?

I am waiting on my hemotologist, who discharged me from his services because he monitored my platelets over a length of time and they remained stable/without change, to clear me for my surgery which is this Tuesday!?! I'm wondering is a platelet level of 124 too low for surgery?? I've had 2 c sections that I know one of them my platelets were 114. Any answer or help with this is appreciated.

+2

This is mildly lower than the low end of normal. That in and of itself would probably not make a TT overly risky. But the hematologist's opinion is worth more than that of a plastic surgeon with only a piece of the whole story. 

The good outcome from the caesarians is useful info, but not a guarantee of no problems this time. Furthermore, the risk benefit comparisons are different. 

Hoping all goes well with the hematologist and with your upcoming procedure. 

Low Platelet Count Tummy Tuck

+1

Based on your surgical history of 2 C-sections without complications with 114,000 platelets and no history of bleeding episodes, you should be able to have a tummy tuck safely. A minimum of 100,000 platelets is recommended for major surgery like a tummy tuck. As long as you have over 100,000 platelets that are functioning you should receive clearance from your hematologist prior to surgery. I recommend that you address this with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon before your tummy tuck surgery. Best of luck. Dr. Richard Wellington Swift

Richard Wellington Swift, MD

Platelets are Very Important for Healing a Tummy Tuck

+1

It is important to have enough functional platelets to safely have a tummy tuck procedure.  Your hematologist may run a platelet function study to see if your platelets are fully functional.  If they are, and with his blessing and that of your plastic surgeon, you can safely proceed.  Good luck!

Stephen Bresnick, MD

Platelet Count of 124,000

+1

Dear Rnholly77,

A platelet count of 124k is mildly low. If the remaining elements of your clotting system and your platelets themselves are working properly, then you may be ok for surgery. You should discuss these issues with both your hematologist and plastic surgeon.

Warmest wishes,

Larry Fan, MD

Larry Fan, MD

Platelet count for surgery

+1

You are wise to be concerned about your platelet count with regard to this surgery.  I agree that your hematologist is the person to ask regarding safety, as it is a combination of platelet number as well as function that determine whether your blood clots adequately enough.  Platelet function assays can be performed as a part of your work-up, but in patients such as yourself I always get clearance from a hematologist prior to the operation.

Adam David Lowenstein, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck With Low Normal Platelet Count

+1

What counts is whether your platelets are functional. Having had two uncomplicated c-sections suggests strongly that your platelets work well. You might recheck a bleeding time to be certain it is normal. But if it is and with your hematologist's blessing, you would be cleared to have a tummy tuck.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Low platlet count

+1

Your surgeon needs to rely on the advise of the hematologist before proceding with surgery.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Platelet counts - both number and function 'counts'

+1

Your hematologist is the real expert - but if your bleeding time test is normal, then the platelets that you do have are functional. Personally, I would not hesitate to operate on a patient with a normal bleeding time test and platelet count of 124k

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Low platelet number and function can increase bleeding with surgery

+1

Thank you for your question. There are two potential problems with platelets, low number and poor function. In general, if your platelets are over 100k and are functioning normally, you should not be at an increased risk for  bleeding with surgery. If you are having problems with easy bruising or bleeding such as bleeding gums, nose bleeds or excessive menstrual bleeding, you could have a problem with platelet function. I would certainly listen to your hematologist and avoid taking medications such as aspirin which can affect platelet function for two weeks prior to surgery. 

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

+1

The number of platelets does not eliminate you from having a safe surgery as long as they are working properly. As to whether they are functioning, that's a question for your hematologist.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD