My Plastic Surgeon Wants to Do a Vertical Incision in Addition to a Horizontal Incision- Will It Heal Well? (photo)

My plastic surgeon wants to do a vertical incision in addition to the traditional horizontal incision in order to address a scar from a pyloric stenosis surgery. He said if he does not do a vertical incision also, then he would recommend a much higher horizontal cut because there can be skin death when dealing with a secondary scar. I am concerned about doing a vertical incision in this tummy tuck because I heard they don't heal as well.

Tummy Tuck Incision?

Thank you for the question and picture.

Both options that your plastic surgeon offers in regards to the tummy tuck scars are viable options.

If I were you I would simply tell your plastic surgeon to use his best judgment and to place the incision lines whenever he deems best/safest and most likely to avoid complications such as tissue necrosis and/or problems that can occur ( especially given your past surgical history/scar).

Getting you through the surgery and avoiding complications should be the first priority;  picking an appropriate undergarments/swimming suit down the line will hide the resulting tummy tuck scars.

8851 Center Drive
San Diego, CA 91942

Tummy tuck with previous scar

I think your plastic surgeon is right. Your scar is a little long and definitely retracted. I would suggest just the horizontal scar and just have it higher than usual. It will probably still end up a couple of inches below your belly button. But then you wan't have a higher scar which is what you are used to now. i don't think adding a vertical part will help at all with the issue of circulation and will only add a more visible scar. It looks like you have a lot of muscle weakness which, after it is tightened will allow the upper skin to come further down. Good luck.

Ronald Schuster, MD

10807 Falls Rd.
Baltimore, MD 21093

Vertical Incision and Horizontal Incision

Veritical incisions are used in  two types of cases where the blood supply is to the skin is in question or the horizontal closure is so tight a small vertical limb must be made to close the incision.  The vertical incision heals well but the scar is visible on the abdomen.

I would perform your abdominoplasty with a horizontal incision if the scars was an old scar and did not completely cross the mid-line.  However, I would limit the amount of "undermining" performed lateral to keep the blood supply to the skin, and I would place the horizontal incision higher than my standard abdominoplasty.

Rondi Kathleen Walker, MD
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

3301 New Mexico Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20016