Can I Ask my Plastic Surgeon to Use Recently Approved Sientra/Silimed High Cohesive Gel Implant?

My surgery is coming up within 3 month and I just can't wait for Mentor and Allergan third generation implants to be approved by FDA. So I wanted to know If my surgeon could use Silimed instead of Mentor? As well as, Is the Silimed gummy bear implants will be more expensive than regular Allergan Natrelle Silicone gel implants?

Can I ask my surgeon

+2

Sure you can ask.

I opened an account with Sientra quickly and easily. The first pairs of implants that I ordered were delivered right away via Fedex.

Your surgeon will have a preference in terms of which company's product he prefers and you can understand and respect it. Prior to Sientra coming on the market, I respected the wishes of a patient who felt strongly that they wanted one brand and not another. As long as you are asking for a round implant, it is reasonable for you to make your prefence known to the surgeon.

However, if you are asking for an assymetrical oval base anatomic implant, you should understand that the vast majority of american plasic surgeons have never implanted such a device. It will take time until they appreciate its virtues and embrace them. Your surgeon may not be ready to go there yet.

I am paying more for the Sientra gummy bear anatomics.

Best wishes

Gainesville Plastic Surgeon

Do Your Research

+1
Great question. If you are sincerely interested in having an augmentation using Highly Cohesive Gel Implants - more popularly known as Gummy Bears - our suggestion is to first make sure you consults with surgeons properly trained and currently using those particular implants on a regular basis. Most surgeons have several types of implants they're most comfortable with and routinely place. Since you have a strong preference as to implant type, go with a surgeon who is most experience and proficient with that style. 

As a final note, this question was posed a few months back (we hope your surgery and outcome are great, MilaG), but just earlier this week (11/17/14), the FDA approved Allergan's anatomically shaped implant. The Gummy Bear implants - with so many variations in size, shape and texture - represent true advancements in implant devices. It's good that there are so many strong choices for women. 

Peter J. Capizzi, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Ask Surgeon to Use Sientra Breast Implants

+1
Of course it is okay for you to ask your plastic surgeon about a particular breast implant. It is also okay if he prefers another breast implant for you. The link to my breast augmentation gallery is below. You will see more than 80 patients with breast implants. Sientra, Natrelle (Allergan) and Mentor brand are all represented. I don't think most prospective patients will notice a difference between brands. Really what you want is a plastic surgeon who has knowledge about all breast implants available and uses what he or she thinks is ideal for their particular patient. 

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Can Your Plastic Surgeon Use Sientra Breast Implants?

+1
Sientra is the company that is distributing the gummy bear or highly cohesive gel breast implants for breast augmentation and breast reconstruction. In the US, Sientra only sells their breast augmentation products to surgeons who are certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. There are a number of reasons for this but the important thing for you to realize is that, although this does not guarantee that you are getting an expert surgeon, the odds of that are far higher than if you go to a surgeon who calls themselves a plastic surgeon but may be an internist, an obstetrician, an ER doc, a family practitioner, or a general surgeon (and yes I have personally met physicians like this!)

Sientra has an implant line that is round much like Allergan’s and Mentor’s implants and these implants all cost about the same. Each company has a gummy bear or shaped implant (form stable) that is more anatomic. These breast implants generally cost about an additional $1000 because the companies charge the surgeon more.

These are more complex implants. They are the fifth generation of breast implants and a lot of technology and development has gone into them to help get you a better result, a safer implant and a device that should last far longer than earlier generations.

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

All Board Certified Plastic Surgeons Can Access Sientra Gummy Bear Breast Implants

+1
If your plastic surgeon is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, they have the ability to access Sientra Breast Implants.  The shaped implants are more expensive than round implants but it can be a very good investment if you are a good candidate shaped breast implants. 

Alan N. Larsen, MD

Sientra Implants vs Allergan and Mentor

+1
If you feel very strongly about using the Sientra highly cohesive gel implants, your surgeon, as long as he/ she is a board certified plastic surgeon should be able to set up and account and have the implants within a few days. This being said if your surgeon uses a lot of Mentor or Allergan, he/ she may get better pricing for the implants from these companies based on the volume he/ she uses. The operation may cost a bit more because of this. In my practice I charge the same for all three manufacturers as sometimes there is a style, texture or shape that I think is best for a patient and I would not want a patient to choose another implant based solely on price. If you currently have little breast tissue, then waiting for the Sientra implants may be worth it as their more highly cohesive gel makes them softer and they have less rippling, so with little tissue coverage they may be better. If you have a good amount of tissue to start, you probably would not notice too much of a difference with any of the three. Sientra implants are different widths and have different fill volumes than Allergan or Mentor so listen to your plastic surgeon and use your base diameter measurement to pick a great implant for you. Depending on your base diameter, if you have a very narrow breast for example, the best implant for you may in fact be an Allergan style 45 (very high profile). Good luck!

Christopher T. Maloney Jr., MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Sientra implants for breast augmentation surgery

+1
Allergan, Mentor and Sientra are the three FDA approved breast implant makers in the USA. Ask your surgeon if he or she has experience with the Sientra implant line. I've found the shaped Sientra implants to have a softer feel with more projection than the other shaped implants.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Silimed Cohesive Gel Breast Implants

+1

Silimed Cohesive gel implants are now FDA approved and available.  You should ask your port certified surgeon about availability and experience in use.  I prefer their anatomic cohesive implants in selected patients that require slight nipple areolar lift.  Best of luck.

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

Using Silimed implants

+1

It is a good day for patient safety that we have a company that has made a commitment to only sell to Board Certified Plastic Surgeons.  We know through realself surveys that patients that have had their breast implants put in by Board Certified Plastic Surgeons have a much higher satisfaction rate than those that are not Board Certified or "Cosmetic surgeons".  

I have used a number of the Sientra implants, and they are definately available in the US now.  They are the ONLY implants that void the warranty if not put in by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, so you should DEFINATELY ask that they are used to make sure that your surgeon is who he says he is.  

I have used the Allergan cohesive implants that are called 410 implants (about 110 patients) and the Sientra cohesive is not as crosslinked as the 410's which make them a bit softer.  The textured surface is a bit different as well.  

Good luck to you. 

Dan Mills, MD

Sientra implants cohesive gels

+1

While the Sientra may have been recently approved buy the FDA, I believe that they are still not availalbe to be used clinically.