My Plastic Surgeon Won't Do Anything to Help Me After 3 Months of Having a Breast Augmentation? (photo)

I had a removal/replacement with silicone implants with location change to under the muscle, about 3 months ago. I had concerns with lack of fullness from the day after surgery. I was told to wait 3 months and he would see how things healed and would decide on what revisions were necessary at that time. I waited the 3 months and he told me they looked fine, and he wouldn't do anything else. Told me to go to another surgeon. The medial part, especially the left, is where they lack fullness. I just don't understand how a Dr. would not want to help his patient achieve the best outcome possible, and try to do something to help.

My plastic surgeon won't do anything to help me

+2

Dear Bunnie1959,

this is a difficult problem and I would need to know several additional factors such as previous implants, new implants size and model, which bra size are you, your height, weight..etc..

the skin of your left breast seem too " large " for the new sub-muscular pocket and new implant, therefore presenting the deformity on the picture.

yes, fat grafting will not be optimal either as mentioned by my colleague here.

a breast lift will help since by cutting and redraping the skin, your breast will present a more optimal shape. But this will be to the price of additional scars.

another solution also, if you do not wish to undergo more scarring from a lift is to have bilateral implants exchange to larger one to " fill " more the skin envelope. but are you ready for a larger cup size and heavier breasts ?

you need to consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who can fully examine you and discuss all those variables with you.

good Luck

Florence Mussat, M.D.

Revision Breast Augmentation

+2

Dr. Johnson is correct that your skin has laxity after the change of your implants from over to under the muscle, and that is most likely the cause of this depression, along with tissue atrophy caused by the subglandular implants.  Although better photographs would be helpful, it seems from those provided that your breasts have some sagging as well.

It is wise to wait a bit longer, but I am dubious of much improvement at this point.  You should heed your surgeon's advice and seek out another surgeon. In the absence of a true physical exam, I cannot be entirely certain, but It seems as though your doctor didn't do anything wrong, he just hasn't finished the job yet.  What needs to be done at this point is a formal mastopexy or breast lift.  This will correct the defects you see, optimize the breast shape, re-position the nipple, and tighten the bottom of the breast.

I would be very wary of anyone wanting to 'fat graft' these defects.  Your skin is deflated and lax, and will show every irregularity of a less than perfect grafting.  BTW, all fat grafting is less than perfect.  You'll go from these defects to multiple lumps and depressions, with the additional risk of the formation of firm nodules of necrotic fat that you can feel.

You should seek out a specialist who performs all aspects of breast surgery, including lifts, reductions, implants, and revisions of all these surgeries.  A minimum requirement would be certification by the ABPS, and membership in the ASAPS.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

My Plastic Surgeon Won't Do Anything to Help Me After 3 Months of Having a Breast Augmentation?

+2

I agree with you but there are always 2 sides to a story than the middle ground is the actual facts. I recommend fat grafting to the areas in question. Seek another PS in your city and good luck. 

Revision three months after breast augmentation

+2

The small indentation may be due to skin laxity and a sign of the old pocket, and the replacement to a submuscular pocket will take time, perhaps six months for the skin and implant to settle in together. Thinned skin, laxity, and pocket revisions are challenging and you might be best to give things a little more time.

+2

Thank you for a question and for the enclosed photographs. It would help if you could attach photos of entire chest so that we can see both breasts in one frame, and also a side view.

From what I can tell from these photos it looks like there is some extra skin and that the nipple and areola is too low, at least on the left side which is visible in the photos.

A breast lift he is able to solve both of those problems.

I am not able to tell from these photos if there is any asymmetry in the placement of the implants. If there is that could be addressed at the time of a breast lift.

Please consider attaching some additional photos. Thank you again for your question, and best wishes.

You should seek another opinion

+1

The indentation in your left breast is most likely related to the new submuscular location of your implants. Better photos are needed to clarify the problem but a hands on exam is crucial for an accurate evaluation. At three months it is unlikely to spontaneously improve.

David A. Ross, MD