Here Are my Pictures from TT, Please Tell Me There is Light at the End! (photo)

It Looks Like Its Getting Worse. Never Been a Smoker?

Marginal necrosis after an abdominoplasty

+1

You have developed marginal necrosis due to compromise of the blood supply.  There are several reasons for this problem and it is not always predictable or preventable.  The central portion of the skin flap is the furthest from the blood supply and under the most tension.  Once the problems has developed all that can be done is conservative wound management, limited debridement and allowing this to heal on its own.  Frequent examinations by your plastic surgeon are helpful to guide the healing process.  

Is There Light?

+1

Dear worriedmommy,  Yes there is light ahead for your wound. You have a well demarcated wound and should probably have the wound debrided and cleaned in the OR. The VAC system is not a bad idea, but if it is not available, then frequent wound care and follow up visits with your surgeon will work as well. You most likely will need scar revision surgery when everything has healed. Good luck and hang in there.

Douglas L. Gervais, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Wound necrosis

+1

This will heal provided you receive proper wound care management.  I would recommend some debridement (cleaning away the necrotic tissue) followed by dressing changes on a daily basis with frequent visits to your plastic surgeon.  This will move things along more quickly and will help to prevent infection.  You may need some scar revision down the road but the first order of business is to get control of the wound and get you healed.  Be patient, this will take some time.  Good luck.

Tiffany McCormack, MD
Reno Plastic Surgeon

Wound healing after tummy tuck

+1

You have a superficial necrosis of wound that is demarcating.  You will need debridement of the wound and local wound care.  You should continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon who will instruct you on the wound care.  It will take some time for the wound to heal but it will get better with proper care.

Sugene Kim, MD

Here Are my Pictures from TT, Please Tell Me There is Light at the End!

+1

Thanks for sharing your outcome and the photos, and yes, there is light ahead.

I wouldn't say this is getting worse, but rather that the damage was clear on the early photos, but it takes time for the skin necrosis to become visible. At at least between the 3rd and 4th week the wound does look better.

At this stage were I the managing surgeon I would suggest debriding (removing) all the black clearly non-viable tissue, and begin treatment with the Wound VAC to provide negative pressure. It will greatly speed up the resolution of the problem, either toward primary healing or an operative wound reconstruction and (other than carrying around a small suction device) will simplify care since only three dressing changes a week are needed.