I Got my First Photofacial 2 Days Ago and my Face is Very Itchy, Feels Dry and Bumpy. is This Normal?

I Got my First Photofacial 2 Days Ago and my Face is Very Itchy, Feels Dry and Bumpy.  is This Normal?

Photofacial and dry skin

+1

The photofacial should not cause any itchiness, dryness or bumps.  It can cause some brown scaliness if brown spots were treated or bruising if spider veins were treated.  The products that were used to cleanse your face before the treatment or products you are using at home would be the probable cause of your problems.  You should stop the products you are using, try some hydrocortisone cream and see a dermatologist for assessment.  You may require patch testing to see what you may be allergic to. 

Toronto Dermatologist

Should I feel itchay after an IPL?

+1

Hello.  Yes, it is possible and very normal to have some tightness, flakiness, itchiness or peeling after an IPL/laser treatment.  This is because the treatment removes (destroys) cells that contain pigment (sun spots) and these dead skin cells rises to the surface of the skin over a period of days or weeks after treatment.  We cannot explain the bumps and you may want to follow up with the practice that treated you to ask about that issue.

We are also in the Los Angeles/Orange County area and prefer lasers to IPL because they can permanently remove sun damage, whereas IPL treatments usually result in temporary blanching of sun spots.  You can view the link below to read an article we wrote comparing the technologies.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD