Is my Pectoral Muscle, And/or my Shoulders Deformed? (photo)

Hello Doc's! It always seemed to me that my upper body was a bit deformed, because I seemed to have a left pec but no right one. So now, I have committed some time to work out my chest, and the right pec has appeared. The problem is, it does not go all the way to the middle of the chest, like my left pec does, and this makes it look awkward. Is it possible that I have a shoulder deformity/or something to do with posture? And what can I do to correct it? More workout, surgery, posturation?

Poland Syndrome

+2

It is much easier to tell this is the setting of a consultation with an in person exam, but it does look like there is a pectoral deficiency on that side. This is called Poland's syndrome. It is often (but not always) associated with anomalies of the breast arm and hand. 

Exercise will not develop muscle where there is none. If the asymmetry bothers you, the are can be filled with an implant or with fat grafts. If you are ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S. Thank you for your question, best wishes.

Absence of pectoral muscle

+2

You could possibly have poland's syndrome a congenital absence of the pectoralis major muscle. When you attempted to build up muscle on the affected side you increased muscle mass within the pectoralis minor resulting in the appearance you describe as the pectoralis minor only extends part way across the chest wall.

Steven L. Brown, MD
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Chest deformity.

+1

Your chest is not symmetric. I can see the edge of your pectoralis muscle on both sides. You appear to have gynecomastia. I would recommend you see someone with experience in the area of gynecomastia. If you have a variant of Poland's Syndrome that could be evaluated at the time of the consultation.

Jay M. Pensler, MD

Pectoralis Deficiency

+1

From the pictures, I cannot make the diagnosis. An exam is necessary to examine muscle contraction in your case.  If you feel as though you are missing a portion of the pectoralis, you may have already made the diagnosis.  Custom fabricated implants may help to fill the void.  Kenneth Hughes, MD male breast reduction Los Angeles, CA