Is my Overbite Mild Enough to Fix with Only a Retainer? (photo)

I'm really trying to avoid getting braces due to my senior year coming up, so is a retainer a good alternative? Or Tooth Extraction? What would you suggest? I have my "glamour shots" below vvv I'm also wondering if it would be a good idea to grind my teeth down and "slenderize" them? I have a lot to spare and wouldn't mind them being a little smaller.

Fixing a mild overbite with Invisalign

+1

Slenderization in combination with Invisalign is a great option to correct a mild overbite. If you choose an office that has an iTero teeth scanner, you may be able to see a preview of your projected result before you start treatment.

San Ramon Orthodontist

What type of treatment do I need?

+1

Just from the pics you sent it appears that your teeth are relatively well-aligned but are protrusive...meaning that they are angled out and too far forward.

To correct this some "slenderizing" could be done but this would result in only a minimal improvement....to produce a major reduction in protrusion would require extractions and full comprehensive orthodontic treatment

Robert Waxler, DMD, MS
Saint Louis Orthodontist

Treatment Options

+1

It might be tough to get the result you are looking for with only a retainer. Retainers don't provide a lot of force or pressure to move your teeth. You may want to consider Invisalign and having your dentist slenderize the teeth as you suggested to create some space so that they can be pulled back. This is your best option if you want to avoid braces.

Sylvan Fain, DDS
Miami Cosmetic Dentist