Is my Orthodontist Right in Doing This?

So I started my invislign treatment on august 20th of this year. (1 1/2 year treatment) The reason for my inviting was to treat a slight malocclusion and to misaligned jaws. I told my orthodontist, that i still have pain on my jaws(both upper and lower). He told me, to stop eating with my invislign and that instead of switching to each set every two weeks,to switch it every 10 days (due to non stop jaw pain). This would accelerate the treatment, to specifically treat my tmj with a mouth guard.

TMJ dysfunction and Invisalign

+1

One should not treat a patient with or treat apatient for TMJ pain or dysfunction.

I agree with all doctors that reducing time of wear will increase the number of refinement aligners

Invisalign can be used to treat severe crowding but only in experienced hands.

Dr R Kumar BDSLDSRCS

London Cosmetic Dentist

TMJ treatment should not be treated with invisalign.

+1

Invisalign is recommended for treating minor to moderate misalignments of the teeth and not the jaws.  Jaw misalignment especially in presence of symptoms requires a more comprehensive approach that involves first determinig what the correct jaw alignment should be and then maintaining this corrected alignment by wearing removable splints or orthotics.  Once symptoms are managed, then there are other options for long-term stability.  Find yourself a dentist who is experienced in treating TMJ.

Michael Firouzian, DDS
Columbus Cosmetic Dentist

Continued Jaw Pain During Invisalign Treatment

+1

Invisalign aligners are designed to be changed every two weeks; decreasing the time that each aligner is worn is not generally a good idea and chances are you will end up increasing the treatment time rather than accelerating it. Also, Invisalign is CONTRAINDICATED for patients with TMJ Dysfunction. In other words, a patient with TMJ should NOT be treated with Invisalign. If you have a jaw alignment problem then Invisalign will NOT correct it. Invisalign treatment in a patient with TMJ can actually make TMJ symptoms worse; not only during Invisalign treatment but also after completion. PLEASE get a second opinion regarding your treatment from a dentist who understands both TMJ Dysfunction and Invisalign. Most dentists who treat TMJ Dysfunction understand orthodontic treatment options, including Invisalign but not all dentists who straighten teeth with Invisalign understand TMJ Dysfunction or how to treat it.

Good luck!

Brad Lockhart, DDS
Tustin Cosmetic Dentist