What Are my Options? Hesitant About Breast Lift?

I have been thinking about doing a breast lift for months but I am still hesitant. I dont want the lollipop scar on my breast as I am African American and I am afraid that it wont fade. Is there any other way that I can have a lift done and minimize scarring? I don't want bigger boobs as i am small at 5.4 and 120 pounds and I think it will look odd on my chest. I just want Perkier "c" cup boobs that look like they belong on a 40 yr old so I don't want them high on my chest. What are my options? Thanks

+1

It is really hard to advise on this without pictures as every case will be different.  The appreciation of subtleties in plastic surgery separates the good from the great result.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Lifting techniques

+1

You describe a patient who needs a lift.  The periareolar lift tends to flatten projection and scarring is sometimes problematic.  The lollipop lift has more scars but the periareolar portion is usually better.  You are faced with that age old question... is it worth it to you to have the lift at the risk of poor scarring?  Only you can answer that question.

Curtis Wong, MD

Breast augmentation can sometimes camouflage ptosis of the breast.

+1

Sometimes even a small breast augmentation can camouflage modest ptosis. This avoids the scars that accompany mastopexy of any technique. Of course, you do have to want to have larger breasts.

Breast Lifting Concerns; African American Patient?

+1

Thank you for the question, but as can imagine, online consultants will not be of much help to you without direct examination or viewing pictures. Ultimately, direct physical examination and a full communication of your goals will be necessary to provide you with meaningful advice.

Generally speaking, most patients (If properly selected and who are doing the operations at the right time of their lives psychosocially) accept the scars associated with breast augmentation/breast lifting surgery as long as they are happy with the improvement in contour, size, and symmetry. This acceptance of the scars is the essential “trade-off” associated with many of the procedures we do in the field of plastic surgery.

When the time is right, you may benefit from in-person consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons. Select your plastic surgeon carefully, ask to see lots of examples of his/her work, and communicate your goals carefully. 

It will be important for you to communicate goals carefully with him/her and make sure that he/she understands what you mean by " perky C  cup boobs".  These words can mean different things to different people;  for this reason, I prefer the use of goal pictures to help with the communication process.

You may find the attached link helpful to you as you learn more.

Women accept breast lift scars very well if they get perky breasts.

+1

Hi.

1)  Scars do not disappear.  But in my experience, women seem to forget about the scars if they really like the shape of their  new breasts.

2)  This operation really depends on good technique.  I recommend the Lejour vertical breast lift.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)