What Are my Options in Closing my Diastema?

Am 32years old and have been living with upper and lower front gaps. The upper one is almost large enough to fit through my little finger. I have a nice smile and good teeth settings but with Gaps in front of it. Am considering closing them 100% permanently without any invasive method. Is it really possible!.Also I have this large frenum in between the upper teeth.

One Gap, Several Options

+1

I would recommend orthodontics (braces) or porcelain veneers - very thin pieces of porcelain bonded to the outside of the teeth. Depending on how wide the gap is, you may benefit from using both options. If your diastema is caused by an oversized labial frenum, you may be a candidate for a surgical procedure called a frenectomy. It is a simple in-office treatment performed under local anesthesia that involves removing extra tissue between your teeth. In children, the gap may close on it's own, but for adults, braces may be required.  A consultation with your dentist is essential to determine which option is the right one for you.

San Mateo Cosmetic Dentist

Closing a Diastema

+1

Options include

-orthodontics, whether braces or Invisalign (least aggresive)

-veneers (more aggressive)

-combination of the above (can sometimes yield the best balance between esthetics and conservatism

Have a consultation with one or more dentists that you have done some research on in your area.  Getting this type of work done can often have a hugely positive impact on your self esteem.  Good luck

Carlo Biasucci, DDS
Ontario Cosmetic Dentist

Options for Closing Diastema

+1

First of all, get a frenectomy (removal of the frenum), which can be done by laser.

Then the options are Invisalign, standard orthodontics, Porcelain Veneers, Bonding...and any combination thereof. I would need to see photos, X-rays, models and do an exam to be more specific.

Jay Neuhaus, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist

Options for "bridging the gap" in your smile.

+1

While a comprehensive exam is necessary to evaluate all of the factors causing the large gaps, called diastema, between you upper and lower teeth, there are some terrific options available such as Invisalign therapy and/or porcelain veneers. There are a number of other considerations in choosing an option that is best including a frenectomy (a minor surgical procedure to raise a low frenum attachment) which is helpful in reducing the possibility of a relapse in the gap returning.

Gerry Curatola, DDS
Manhattan Cosmetic Dentist