What Are my Options if an Impact Suffered 2 Weeks Post Osteotomies Has Caused Misalignment?

I suffered a mild-moderate hit to the right of my nose 10 days after a septo-rhinoplasty with osteotomies. The right side of my nose has been noticeably swollen for past 2 days now and am concerned it has caused misalignment. My surgeon cannot ascertain this with the degree of swelling and has advised me to ice it. What can I do if it turns out there is misalignment, should I have a steroid injection as he suggested, or even re-break it? Is that recommended?

Post Septorhinoplasty Trauma

+1

Dear Val,

You will need to wait and see if the trauma has caused tissue swelling or if the nose has been fractured. Yes you can always have the osteotomies redone if that is the problem or if you just have swelling in the tissue area from the trauma that should reside. I would hold off on any steroid injections until a longer healing process has taken place. I would suggest frequent appointments to follow your recovery and then a proper diagnosis and prognosis will be made by your surgeon. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Web reference: http://www.michaelelammd.com

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.