I have a scar after having my appendix removed 4 years ago. What are my options for having it removed?

I am now 20 yrs old and back in 2010 I had a apendecitis and ovarian mass removal at the same time. As a result of that surgery I have a horrendous scar below my belly button that goes all the way down. Being a female it is definitely not flattering to have this scar and on this area. I have tried numerous lotions, oils and ointments to help fade the visibility but I am still not pleased with the results. I have gained weight so now the scar looks even worse! What are my options now to remove this scar?

Scar Treatment

+1
Depending on how your scar appears, there are a number of lasers that may be of use in your case. The V-beam laser can help with redness in a scar while the fraxel laser is helpful for scar remodeling. In some cases, surgically removing the scar may be a more appropriate option. It would be best to consult with a board certified Dermatologist or plastic surgeon.

Beverly Hills Dermatologist

+1
Your best bet is to meet for a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon with experience with scar management.  There are a few options to improve scars and may range from laser treatments to scar revision where the unsightly scar is removed and the site is resewn by a plastic surgeon to make a better scar.  Certainly if weight gain made the scar look worse, then weight loss will help improve it as well.  It really needs an evaluation in person to determine the best course of treatment but there is nothing that removes scars completely.  Good luck!

Megan Jack, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Appendix scar

+1
Unfortunately scars are permanent. If the scar is depressed or stretched out perhaps it could be revised, but it would have to be seen in person.