What are my options for lip enhancement to reduce excess tooth show? (photo)

Hello, I know that most people get lip procedures done to increase tooth show, but in my case, I'd like to decrease it. I have not had lip work done except for .05 cc of silicon 1000 injections in 2004. My issue is the top lip curling up at the center. At rest, there is a pursed look in the same area and a slight parting in the center when my lips meet. Can a filler be used to add some meatiness to the center and cover the top teeth a bit more? Or would a v-y plasty be a better option?

Gummy smile

+2
gypsydoll, I can't tell for sure from your photos but from what I can see and from your description you may be a candidiate for a V-Y plasty. This is done with an incision inside your mouth and works quite well to lower the mid part of the upper lip. Good luck!!

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Excess tooth show

+2
The only thing that could work as a permanent correction would be surgery. There are operations for the"gummy smile", all done with totally hidden incisions within the mouth where the top of the upper gum meets the inside of the top of the upper lip (the gingivobuccal sulcus is lowered). 

You might try Botox, but I would think the results will be insuuficient and, definitely, only temporary. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Protruding central lip

+1
I agree completely with Dr. Clark's assessment, although obviously without seeing you in person these are just our best guesses. Botulinum toxin injection under (or just slightly lateral to) the nose, where the nose meets the upper lip, would most likely help with your case. I also do not use Silikon 1000: permanent filler = permanent potential problems.

Daniel P. Friedmann, MD
Austin Dermatologic Surgeon

No more filler

+1
If I were your lip augmentation expert, I might first try one or two units of Botox under the tip of the nose where it meets the upper cutaneous lip. This might allow your upper lip to relax a little and come down over your teeth. One might also consider one unit to each LLSAn, the muscles that lift your upper lip, although they tend to relax the lateral lip a bit more easily than the central lip, thus helping women who have a gummy show when they smile only, whereas yours seems to be at rest.

More filler would make that central portion protrude more.

I have never injected silicone to the lips because of potential side effects like this.  

Sheryl D. Clark, MD