What Are my Options for Changing the Shapes of my Cheeks?

I am a male and I have flat cheek bones but I would like to create a more angular and Narrowness to them is my only option cheek implants or would a filler such as radiesse work?

Cheek Implants - Fat Grafting as an alternative

+1

A wide variety of facial implants are currently available for the enhancement of the skeletal elements of facial aesthetics. The most commonly used facial implants are used to enhance the profile of the chin and the cheeks. Facial implants very widely not only in shape and style, but also in terms of the materials from which they are fabricated.

My preference is to use structural fat grafting, as much as possible, to enhance facial features. In many cases, the need for a solid implant can be eliminated by the careful and meticulous grafting of a patient's own fat. While the incidence of complications with facial implants is not high, certain problems may develop which require implant removal including infection and implant migration. Bone resorption (bone loss) has also been reported below solid facial implants. Neither of these problems are an issue with structural fat graftin

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Cheek Augmentation

+1

Yes, fillers are a great way to augment the cheeks without using an implant. I generally use Radiesse because it lasts longer than almost all the others, but any of the thicker fillers will work. Fat is also a good choice and can be permanent

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Augmenting cheeks

+1

A thicker filler, such a perlane, juvederm ultra plus, or radiesse, are great options for cheek augmentation. Sculptra is a filler that stimulates collagen and also helps to replace volume in cheeks.   Consult with a board certified dermatologist to discuss what option would work for you. 

Donna Bilu Martin, MD
Aventura Dermatologist

Implants For Cheek Reshaping

+1

For a young male that is looking for a long-term structural facial change, cheek implants are a better choice than injectable fillers. But there are numerous styles and sizes of cheek implants, so careful selection and placement is critical to get the best desired look. While implants can make the cheeks more angular, they can not make them more narrow as they add volume.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

2 Good Options for Changing The Shape of Your Cheeks

+1

Cheek Implants and a high volume filler like Radiesse would both work well for this. They each have their advantages and disadvantages. The main advantage to cheek implants is that they are permanent. They work best in people who have a congenitally flat mid-face, but give improvement in anyone who has lost volume in the mid portion of their face. Cheek implants come in a variety of shapes and sizes, allowing your surgeon to customize the implant to fit your specific needs. Prior to the introduction of Radiesse, fillers were often not a great option for flat cheek bones simply because most people who need volume, need so much volume that it simply took too much of the hyaluronic acid fillers to be practical. Coming in every 6-9 months for 4 syringes of Restylane or Juviderm got to be very expensive. Radiesse, however adds so much more volume per syringe, that 2 syringes are usually enough for most people. And as opposed to the HA fillers that last 6-9 months, Radiesse usually lasts well over a year. The other advantage to Radiesse is that the injector is essentially acting as a sculptor when they put it in, allowing them to get the amount of fullness in the areas they want very precisely. Since the results are immediate, and because you are wide awake while it is being injected (a topical anesthetic cream is all that is needed), you can be a part of the process. I often give the patient a mirror part way through so that they can tell me where they feel they need more volume in order to get the results they desire.

Michael R. Menachof, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Options for enhancing cheeks

+1

Longer lasting fillers such as Radiesse have many advantages over cheek implants. One obvious advantage is that surgery is not required. Another is that you can get either a rapid or a gradual correction depending upon how many syringes you have injected and you can decide as you go exactly how much correction looks good. Another advantage is that cheek implants may no longer look good in an aging face as it changes over the years. Touch up treatments for fillers can be modified over many years to better fit the aging face.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Cheek augmentation fillers or implants.

+1

It is more cost effective by far to do implants. The only complication is a veryinpr chance of infection.  Fillers can make bumps and need to  be  continually done.