I was a 34A and got 533cc silicone implants. What Are my Options to Correct Double Bubble? (photo)

I had my surgery on June 24, 2010. I was a 34A and got 533cc silicone implants. However, at the 3 month mark I started to notice something was off. The incision was under the fold and my surgeon promised that it would not be noticeable, and that this was the only way to fit such a large silicone implant along with lowering my crease, so i trusted him. I now have double bubble and my breast stay raised up in the air, always exposing my incisions. Its been 18 months. What are my options?

Double bubble contour

+2

It looks as though the inframammary folds have been elevated by overdissection of the lower pockets.  This will probably need to be repaired surgically with a post-operative need to wear an underwire bra to protect the repair for a while.

Fat grafting may help but this tends to be unreliable.  Needling or other skin stretching maneuvers can help but unless the ligaments that maintain the natural fold are repaired it is likely that the implants will continue to slide down over time.

Correction of Bottoming Out?

+2

I'm sorry to hear about the complication you have experience.

The implant malposition ( bottoming out) can be corrected using a permanent suture technique (inferior pole capsulorraphy).  This procedure will reconstruct the lower breast implant capsule area and decrease the distance from the areola to inframammary fold. It will also help to hide the current inframammary fold score better.

I would suggest in person consultation with plastic surgeons who can demonstrate their success with similar procedures.

What Are my Options to Correct Double Bubble? (photo)

+1

Thanks for the posting of all your photos. Very hard over the internet to give any specific advise. In fact I see a very acceptable result that needs some tweaking. I might consider fat grafting the inferior poles with needling the skin to cause a stretching effect. But again ONLY in person evaluation would allow a definitive plan. 

Your options are revision with capsule revision and smaller implant

+1

The pictures are very helpful and show the problem clearly. You will notice this more with putting your hands on your hip and pressing down. Your infra mammary fold is disrupted and will need repair. Smaller implant will help.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Options for "double bubble" breasts

+1

Based on your photographs, the implants appear to have "bottomed out." The inframammary fold needs to be reconstructed. Also, decreasing the size of your implant would help with long-term correction.

Donna Rich, MD

Correcting the double bubble

+1

Correcting the double bubble involves maintaining the breast implant within the comfine of the breast envelope. Options include repair of the inferior capsule and setting the breast fold, and a smaller implant which is a better fit and less challenge to the breast.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd

Fixing double bubble shape after breast augmentation

+1

While a double bubble can occur from lowering the bottom fold of the breast, it can also be related to animation problems from the way the muscle is cut for the usual submuscular placement (dual plane). If you notice pulling up where the fold is when you flex your pecs, then it is the muscle pulling there that is also causing the double bubble. In that case you would want to convert to either a split muscle or subfascial plane which could address both problems. A simple capsulorrhaphy is not always reliable regardless of what type of sutures are used.

Richard Baxter, MD

Capsulorraphy

+1

I would speak with you physician re the option of a capsulorraphy to address the bootoming out of your implant on the one side.  This is typically a very standard procedure in such cases and usually addresses this going forward after the procedure

Edward J. Bednar, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon