What Are my Options After a Failed LAT Flap?

Inflammatory Breast Cancer- 5/10 Radical Mastectomy on left then chemo & radiation. 4/11 Total Mastectomy on right & tissue expanders on both. Left expander failed. Swelling & numbness left arm. 11/11 expanders removed, LAT and implants put in. Now 4/12 lLAT has failed. I look like Frankenstein's monster! Tiny breast like bump on right-some smashed mess on left. Still have to wear padded bra with prosthesis on left. I HATE THIS! Also have bulge of something on back- lynmphedema? 

Breast reconstruction

+1
Three basic forms of breast reconstruction exist. You can use your own tissue, implants or a combination of the previous two techniques. Your own tissue can be used in the form of the DIEP flap, PAP flap, SGAP flap or fat grafting. Implants can be done in one stage or two stage. Two stage reconstructions are started by placing expanders at the time of mastectomy. Once they expanders are placed they are able to be inflated as determined by wound healing. The final time consists of combining any of the above techniques.

If you are interested in being seen in Austin please give us a call. I know this is a difficult time for you. The majority of my practice is devoted to reconstruction for women with breast cancer or who are BRCA+

Options for delayed breast reconstruction

+1

I am sorry to hear about your postoperative course.  After radiation and failed implant and failed latissimus flap reconstruction, I would consider you for a possible DIEP flap or TRAM flap.  If you have excess skin and fat in your lower tummy and have ever thought about a tummy tuck, you may be a candidate for a DIEP Flap procedure.  However, you must be in good health to be a candidate for tissue only breast reconstruction using your excess belly tissue.  To learn more about your options, please visit our breast reconstruction website below.

Web reference: http://www.breastreconstructionhouston.com

Options fro Breast Reconstruction

+1

Sorry to hear about all of your problems, breast reconstruction can be very difficult in the face of radiation, and there are often many setbacks. I would encourage you to pursue the free tissue transfer option. This is where tissue from one part of your body is taken and placed in your mastectomy defect. This is a more complex operation but offers and excellent cosmetic result and can be used in the face of radiation. I would encourage to visit with your surgeon and discuss the free tissue transfer method of reconstruction.

Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Delayed breast reconstruction post radiation

+1

I'm sorry you've had such difficulty with you breast reconstruction. Unfortunately, radiation may screw up the best reconstructions. In a previously radiated chest, you only available options will be autologous reconstruction wither either a free flap ( DIEP, IGap/SGap, gracious, etc.) or a Pedicled flap such as a TRAM. During your consultation with your plastic surgeon, he will be able to recommend and discuss which option will be best for you. This will be based upon your physical exam and treatment history.