What is my best option for getting my left breast as similar as possible to my right breast, least amount of scarring? (photos)

I am looking to reduced my left breast. I recently consulted with a surgeon who said that she would recommend the lollipop technique for reducing the breast, which would leave me with a large scar down my chest and around the nipple. I was told that you can also reduced it through liposuction to minimize scarring but it will not lift the breast. What is my best option for trying to get my left breast as similar as possible to my right breast with the least amount of scarring?

Correcting Asymmetry with a Reduction

+1
From your photos, it appears that you've been given good input. A breast reduction on your left breast using a lollipop incision will be the most reliable way to remove tissue and equalize your two sides, while at the same time lifting the nipple/areola to match the level of your right breast. It is certainly possible to reduce the size of your left breast through liposuction, but achieving symmetry and natural looking contours can be difficult. A more traditional approach has the best chance of creating the result you're after.

Unfortunately a scar will result around your areola and downward, as you know. The scar will fade significantly in time, and I believe you would be likely to find it very acceptable after a few months. Arrange another consultation for a second opinion, if you like, and ask to see photos of women with skin similar to yours. That should help you decide.

Correcting breast asymmetry with minimal scarring

+1
Thank you for sending your interesting photos to be reviewed. You are right that your right breast looks slightly larger and your nipple lower on that side. The areola (the brown area around the nipple) also looks slightly wider.

In my opinion the best way forward for you if you are happy with the appearance and volume of your right breast is to leave the right alone. We would then consider a small breast reduction on the left side which would elevate the nipple to a similar position to the right.

The scarring would be around the nipple on the left, vertically down to the fold of the breast and for a very short distance along the fold. I would avoid a full anchor scar in your case.

For more information about what’s involved in the procedure and to actually see similar operations being performed I think it would be worth having a look at our website aurora-clinics.co.uk or our YouTube channel (search auroraclinics). You will see very similar cases being performed in surgery there.

Adrian Richards, MD
London Plastic Surgeon

What is my best option for getting my left breast as similar as possible to my right breast, least amount of scarring?

+1
YES Lift/reduction on the left breast is the best option. But there will be scars no matter what you do. Sorry.... 

Ultrasonic liposuction

+1
Thank you for your question and posting an appropriate picture.  You actually seem to be a good candidate for ultrasonic (VASER) liposuction.  Typically there is some elevation of NAC without scars. You would need to be examined before of course and review other patients results after similar procedure. 

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

Breast reduction options

+1
Liposuction will probably not be an option for you and would not give you the best results anyway. Liposuction for breast reduction rarely is effective in younger patients because the breast tissue is dense and removal with liposuction is almost impossible. Even it were an option, it would result in a breast that was smaller in volume, but still significantly asymmetric in shape. Your best option is a vertical breast reduction (lollipop scars) on the left side. The scars will fade with time. In my opinion, it really is the only effective option. 

William T. Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Treating breast asymmetry

+1
Liposuction will not equalize the nipple heights. You would need a breast lift and in your case, the vertical scar approach is likely to  produce the best result in terms of shape. The scars should go on to heal well.  There are always tradeoffs and compromises in cases of significant asymmetry. Best wishes.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Depends on your desire.

+1
In my experience, I have reduced a number of breasts with liposuction. Sometimes the nipple goes up a little. If you really want symmetry in clothing, a lipo only will work. Naked, there may be some asymmetry. Let me examine you , and we can discuss it.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Breas lift or liposuction

+1
While liposuction will reduce the volume, it will not lift the breast significantly, and it looks like your nipple needs to move up a bit.

Unilateral breast reduction

+1
Hi, I would agree that the best option is a breast reduction with a lollipop incision.  The nipple on the left is lower than that on the right.  The BEST way  to gain symmetry is by moving the nipple upwards with the lollipop.  That results in a scar around the nipple and a vertical scar which heals relatively well.  The other option is to  advance the nipple upward with the incision around it and use a horizontal incision in the crease instead of the vertical lollipop but this approach tends not to narrow the breast which is needed in your case..  Liposuction of the breast will reduce its size but do nothing for the shape.  I can tell you from my experience that the amount of lift you get from a liposuction only reduction is nominal and will NOT give you enough lift to match the other side which is your goal.  Good Luck.  Dr Bev

Beverly Friedlander, MD
Short Hills Plastic Surgeon

One-sided breast reduction

+1
Most of the time, symmetry can be created with lifting / reducing the larger / lower side by performing a breast reduction / breast lift technique using the lollipop technique.  In my experience, the Anchor shaped (Wise pattern) scars are too much for such cases, and the areolar incision technique (circle only) is not enough.

Best regards,

RM

Reza Momeni, MD
Summit Plastic Surgeon