My OBGYN said he could not sew my muscles back together after my c-section. Can I carry another child? Do I need surgery?

He said my muscles were too far apart and that they must have separated during my pregnancy (after my first c-section). I do recall after that first c-section that he said it was difficult to sew them back together that time due to an ovarian reconstruction in 1999 by another doctor. This time he said he tried to overlap my fascia to make up for it???? Help.

OB GYN and muscles

+1

You got the correct advice from your OB GYN After you have had your last child you may consider a tummy tuck. Regarding the ability to have more kids check in with your OB.

Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Pregnancy is rough on your tummy

+1

and if you wish to have another child, you should check with your OB doctor. Once you are done with having children, consider seeing a plastic surgeon about possible procedures to help improve your contours. Improvements can always be made... but perfection is very difficult to achieve.

Curtis Wong, MD

Diastasis recti repair by OBGYN during c-section

+1

OBGYNs do not get any training in cosmetic surgery. You should see a Plastic Surgeon to discuss the repair of your diastasis recti (widening of your abdominal muscles) and a possible tummy tuck if after any weight loss that may be necessary after pregnancy.

Luis H. Macias, MD

Correction By OBGYN

+1

OBGYN doctors are not trained to do cosmetic surgery. Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, certified by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) for an evaluation, and to discuss your concerns and expectations.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Correction by OB-GYN

+1

OB-GYN docs are not generally trained nor do they perform tummy tuck surgery. I have seen poor results and problems from patients who have had tummy tuck surgery performed by non-Plastic surgeons. Be careful and do your homework, especially before spending your hard earned money.

Ronald Schuster, MD

To repair of not to repair

+1

Muscle plication (repair) may be difficult after pregnancy for several reasons. You did not list your BMI but most of the conversations start (and end) with this factor. If you are planning to have another child, I would suggest waiting to have the hernia or diastasis (muscle separation) repaired. If a surgeon makes you "good and tight" now, your abdomen may be too tight to carry an infant to term. When you have your abdominoplasy, the surgeon will do the ultimate repair at that time regardless of your ovarian reconstruction.

Good Luck

Larry C. Leverett, MD, FACS
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon