My nostrils are wide. How do I find a doctor who specializes or just does in Alar reduction. It is never listed as a procedure?

I have a wide nose. The nostrils are wide and wider when I smile. One nostril wider than the other because I pushed on my nose with my finger wrapped around and leaning on my nose while sucking my thumb on a regular basis. My face is very asymmetric, some of which I may have been born with and definitely enhanced by thumb sucking. I recently found out about alar reduction and think if done correctly with the right doctor it would greatly improve my appearance.

Alar Reduction

+1

Alar reduction can be a part of a rhinoplasty or a separate procedure. There are a few different locations for the incisions, all of which affect the shape of the nostril differently. The decision as to whether or not to reduce the alar base to change the shape of your nostrils has a number of considerations. If you nose overprojects, putting the tip back will change the shape of the nostrils. If you have wide and prominent cheek bones, narrowing the alar base may make your nose look too narrow. Narrowing your alar base can adversely affect your airway.In our offices in Worcester and Stoneham we see these issues everyday. I have attached a link. By the way, most people have asymmetrical faces.

Web reference: http://www.bostonrhinoplastycenter.com/

Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Alar base reduction

+1

Dear bb123,

Alar reductions are a commonly performed procedure, usually as part of a rhinoplasty but occasionally on their own. Facial asymmetry is a more challenging problem but can often be improved. I would seek the opinion of an experienced nose surgeon. Good luck.

Brookline Plastic Surgeon

Alar Reduction for Wide Nostrils

+1

Alar reduction (nostril narrowing) is most commonly performed as part of a rhinoplasty. Lee frequently it is done as a stand alone procedure. There are different types of alar reduction that differ by the incision location and how much the nostrils are narrowed. You should submit photos for an opinion in whether this nose reshaping procedure is for you and what type would be best.

Web reference: http://www.eppleyplasticsurgery.com

+1

I perform the alar base reductions on about 1 out of every 2 patients, which is largely a reflection of the diverse population of individuals on whom I operate.

Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com/Rhinoplasty.php