Can my Nostrils Be Made More Even? (photo)

I didn't know what else to categorize this as but rhinoplasty... I have noticed in recent years that one of my nostrils is noticeably more flat that the other and lower. I find that it is very obvious in pictures and I feel it is detracting from the general symmetry of my face. However I'm worried a surgeon would say that this problem is too minor, or that it is too difficult to achieve good results. In fact I don't even know if a procedure to fix this exists. I think it will only get worse.

Nostril Asymmetry

Your nostril symmetry can be improved with incisions at the base of the nose but perfection is not possible. Everybody, including the most handsome and beautiful, do have some asymmetry.

Improvement of Nostril Asymmetry

Your nostril asymmetry is the result of differences in the positions of the lower rim of the tip cartilages and the overlying skin. It can be improved but not made perfect with relatively minor surgery. It is not likely to get any worse with time.

Can my Nostrils Be Made More Even?

Your very minor asymmetric issue with the alar bases and nostril diameter is a normal genetic variant to your gene pool. Yes surgery can improve BUT at WHAT PRICE? The scars would be noticeable and thus the trade off might not be worth the surgical risk. As Dr Millard's principals state, "Do not take from Peter to pay Paul!" applies. 

alar-plasty for uneven nostrils

An asymmetrical alar-plasty can be performed on the nostrils to attempt to  makes them more symmetrical. Do not expect perfection such as very difficult to get them perfectly aligned. An  alar-plasty can be performed under local anesthesia

Nostril asymmetry

Nostril asymmetry is the norm rather than the abnormal. yes, I see the difference. Sometimes this can be corrected with differential alar base excisions but they will never be exactly the same.

Asymmetrical Nostrils

Asymmetrical nostrils can be made more symmetrical depending on the  structures that are causing the asymmetry.  Generally the asymmetry in nostrils can be visible in multiple views, such as from the view of the nose from the bottom and the front.  Based on the photos here, it appears that you could have more symmetry.  Please consult with a board certified specialist who can best assist you in achieving the results you seek.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Uneven nostrils

Thanks for your question. I cannot tell from the photos whether or not they are both of you. They look different to me. In any case it is certainly possible to change the shape and size of the nostrils to a certain extent. The one photo from beneath the nose seems to suggest asymmetry within the tip itself which may be contributing to the difference in the nostrils. This is why you really need to go get some consultations so that an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon can best advise you. Good luck.

Improving Nostril Asymmetry with Rhinoplasty

Improving nostril symmetry can be achieved with a combination of cartilage grafting and cartilage resection as well as altering the skin envelope and the alar base.  Find the plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties per year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Nostril asymmetry

There are procedures to reshape your nostrils.  This would involve reshaping the cartilage of the tip of your nose and possibly using cartilage grafts to achieve better symmetry.  You would need to decide how much this bothers you and if it would be worth the cost and recovery of surgery.

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon