Will my One Nostril's Become Rounder (And Less Weird) As Healing Continues Post Revision or Will I Have to Live with It?

I had revision rhinoplasty about a month and a half ago (reason being there was an infection inside one of my nostrils). My doctor spent more time on one side of nose because of the medical issue, resulting in nostril now being mis-shaped/pointed in a strange way. I'm hoping over time it softens and becomes rounder. If not, what to do? Fillers? The good side (rounder nostril) is also pinched but where the nostril begins on the side of the nose. That doesn't bother me as much.

Nostril Revision Following Infection

+2

Experienced rhinoplasty surgeons can figure out an amazing amount of things, about past traumas and surgery and future changes and results, just by looking at photographs of your nose.  We would really like to help as much as  possible and the only way to make a good assessment and give good helpful advice is to see photographs of the area of concern -- from 3 or 4 angles if possible.  There are instructions on how to post photos on RealSelf.  Look them over and if you could provide a photo, you'd get really helpful answers and more of them.  Thanks.

Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

It is too early to worry but there are some management options.

+2

Hello travelgirl1010,

Thanks for your question.  You are only roughly 6 weeks postop from a revision surgery for infection.  That sounds like a setup for prolonged swelling that can distort the tip tissues.  It would be prudent to ask your surgeon about tip modulation and massage techniques, including tip taping, to see if he/she thinks that this would help.  It will take a while for the inflammation from infection to subside and for blood supply to normalize at the tip.  Just be patient but proactive.

Good luck,

Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

+1

The nose can be swollen for up to a year or more. Swelling will depend upon the nature of maneuvers employed, presence of grafts or implants, thickness of skin, open vs closed, revision vs primary, etc.