Why is my Nose Twice As Wide After Rhinoplasty? (photo)

i got my nose done 9 days ago and i can't help but cry when i look in the mirror. my nose looks 2 times wider and pudgy. i am really in a panick.. is it going to look like this? or is it just swelling? i look like a pig..is the bridge going to stay this wide?

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

Too Early To Evaluate Results.

+1

Nine days after rhinoplasty is too early to evaluate your results.I would recommend you discuss your concerns further with your surgeon. Best wishes.

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty 10 Days Postop - Nose is Wide

+3

Having a bigger nose at 10 days after rhinoplasty is nothing about which to panic.  You are swollen, and it may take 3 months to even get an idea.  1 year is necessary for full results.

Swelling after rhinoplasty

+2

At 9 days post-op, you are near the peak of your swelling. It can take 18-24 months for the final result of your surgery to be evident. 70% of the swelling is resolved after the first 3 months, and the remainder goes down over time. It is important to be patient during the healing process, as it may take a while. I would recommend discussing any post-operative concerns with your surgeon, as they know the extent of your procedure and exactly what was performed. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck with the remainder of your recovery. 

Web reference: http://www.spaldingplasticsurgery.com/face/rhinoplasty/

Do not panic - it is too early!

+2

Do not panick.  You are not even two weeks after surgery.  If you had a lot of work done (tip surgery, osteotomies, etc), this causes a lot of bruising and swelling.  Here are tips that may help:

- use Arnica gel or cream on the cheeks and around the nose

- avoid strenuous exercise, alochol intake, and sun exposure

- sleep with the head of your bed elevated

- ask your doctor about taping the nose at night, which may help reduce the swelling

Why is my Nose Twice As Wide After Rhinoplasty?

+1

I have performed Rhinoplasty for over 25 years and the nose does swell after the cast is removed.  At 9 days post Rhinoplasty you can expect the nose to be swollen and the final result will not be obvious.  Don't stress and allow time for your nose to heal.  The swelling can persists for 6 months or longer.  If you are concerned however, you should go back and speak with your Rhinoplasty Surgeon for assurance.

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com/Rhinoplasty.html

Wide nose after Rhinoplasty- swelling

+1

Dear Shelly- first of all, do not panic. What you are experiencing is well within the norm after a rhinoplasty. The first 2-3 weeks the nose swells significantly, especially if an open approach was used ( an incision on the outside and around the inside of the nostrils).

A couple things you can do to help: alternate cold and warm compresses- a frozen bag of peas on your nose for 15 minutes followed for 15 minutes with a sock filled with rice put in the microwave for 15 minutes. A clean sock is preferable!  Get up and move around for 30 minutes each day with some gentle exercise, not the gym, just walking. Sleep with your head up on 2-3 pillows or in a recliner.

Everyone is different in the amount of swelling and bruising they experience after rhinoplasty. For most people, the first few weeks cause the most distress as the nose does not look like what they had hoped. You should find a significant improvement in the upcoming weeks if you are 9 days post op now. Keep in mind that residual swelling can last for up to 6 months, especially in the tip, which is the last area to lose swelling. Hopefully you have a post-op visit with your surgeon coming soon. Be sure to discuss your concerns. 

Hang in there, this will get better. Best wishes, Dr S

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }  
Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon