Will my Nose Tip Get Longer After the Swelling Goes Down?

I just had a rhinoplasty with an L-shape implant 8 days ago. When the tappings were taken off, my nose looks very swollen and the tip looks very round, bulbous and short. My question is " will my nose tip get longer and less bulbous with time"...? Thank you very much for all your time and help doctors.

Nasal tip Swelling after Rhinoplasty with Implant

+3

It is very common to have significant swelling of the nasal tip at just 8 days following a rhinoplasty with an L-shaped implant.  It may take at least 3 to 6 months to see the final results, however your nose will probably look longer and less bulbous over time.  Be patient and check back with your surgeon if you have concerns. Best wishes.

San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Tip Swelling after Rhinoplasty

+2

Thank you for the question. Only 8 days after rhinoplasty, particularly when an implant is used, there will be significant swelling. This can make the nose look bigger, rounder, and more rotated than it will be later on. Please stay in touch with your surgeon, and try not to worry -- it's very early!

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tip swelling is normal 8 days after rhinoplasty.

+2

At just over a week after rhinoplasty, it is very normal for your nose to still be swollen. Specifically, nasal tip swelling after rhinoplasty typically makes the tip of your nose look round, bulbous, and ill-defined. This should improve within just a few weeks and be probably 85% resolved by 3 months. The final swelling should be gone completely by 1 year from your surgery, and this is when your should expect your final result.

Also, the swelling CAN make your nose appear a little shorter, and often the nose will look more "projected" as the tip swelling resolves, so hang in there!  Follow up with your surgeon: he/she should help deftly guide you through this postoperative healing phase.  

Randolph Capone, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Dear KCnose,

thank you for your question.  It is likely that as swelling decreases, the tip will be come more refined and less bulbous. It is unlikely that the length of the nose will change.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon