Will my Nose Tip Drop in the Following Weeks? (photo)

Hi, I had a Septo/rhinoplasty 18 days ago and I took the cast off 2 days ago. I had a huge bump on my nose and just wanted a more symmetric nose. But after surgery, he told me he had to change the tip too. Well, I'm really happy with my nose, although it's still very swollen, but I'm not so happy with the tip, I think it's a little upturned, and it would be perfect if it'd drop a little bit. My question is: Will it drop after the swelling goes down?

Upturned Nasal Tip Following Surgery

+1

It is not abnormal for the tip to be turned up following rhinoplasty surgery. It will gradually come down over the next couple of weeks. I would recommend speaking with your surgeon regarding any immediate post-operative concerns, as he/she knows the extent of your surgery and exactly what was performed. Thank you and I hope this helps.

Tip upturned at 18 days

+1

It is extremely common for the nose tip to appear up-turned in the first few weeks after rhinoplasty due to stiffness and swelling of the tip and columella

Sam Naficy, MD

Will My Tip Drop?

+1

First of all, let me say that basically you have a very nice result. 18 days after surgery it is not likely that your tip will drop very much, but this will depend on the strength of your tip cartilages, how the tip was positioned and supported, how much tip cartilage was removed, and the amount of swelling you experienced after surgery.

Tip drop after rhinoplasty

+1

It's possible that the tip will drop some, but most drop occurs in the first couple of weeks after rhinoplasty if it's going to occur. It also depends a lot on what specifically the surgeon did to stabilize the tip (e.g., strut graft, columellar setback, nothing, etc.). You might want to find out whether your surgeon expects it to come down and if so, why and when. It might also be interesting to know why he "had to change the tip" when that apparently wasn't part of the plan pre-op.

--DCP

PearsonFacialPlasticSurgery.com

David C. Pearson, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon