Is my Nose Still Swollen After 6 Months of a Septorhinoplasty?

Hi, I had a septorhinoplasty about six months ago and it appears that my nose is not completely straight. The left side (facing the picture) looks puffier than the other side; that was the side where my septum was deviated. I had a S-shaped septum. Will it look better/more straight over time? Thanks.

Is nose still swollen after 6 months of a septorhinoplasty?

+2

Hello, and sorry to hear you are not satisfied with your result. Following septorhinoplasty, you may experience the following side effects:

1) Swelling
2) Asymmetry
3) Irregularities
4) Congestion
5) Bruising under the eyes

You will still be swollen after 6 months. It can take up to a year for the swelling to resolve. It is not abnormal to have uneven swelling where one side appears more swollen than the other, especially in the area where a good amount of work was performed to straighten the septum. As you continue to heal, your swelling will subside and the appearance of your nose should improve. Your surgeon will best be able to answer any questions you have about your healing. Thank you and good luck!

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling post nasal surgery.

+2

Swelling will not be greatly diminished until you are approximately 12 months after the surgery.  You do need to have your Plastic Surgeon see you periodically, certainly to answer your questions as you raise these issues with your doctor  Keep observing the differences as you heal and continue to discuss gthis with your Plastic Surgeon.

Good luck.

Frank Rieger M.D.  Tampa Plastic Surgeon

Francis (Frank) William Rieger, MD

Swelling and asymmetry after nose surgery

+2

Swelling after nose surgery (rhinoplasty) takes 9 to 12 months to resolve, and often does not resolve symmetrically. In fact, it can appear asymmetric on one day and not the next due to shifting swelling.

Cory Goldberg, MD

Still swollen

+2

Not only is your nose still swollen, but also swelling is not necessarily symmetrical.  You should talk to your surgeon.  

Stuart H. Bentkover, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal Swelling 6 Months after Septorhinoplasty

+1

It is not uncommon for some nasal swelling to persist for 12 months after a rhinoplasty especially in the tip. The severity and duration also depends on what was done during the operation. Deviated noses are particularly difficult to do. You may be observing asymmetrical swelling rather than persistent deviation.