Why is my nose still swollen 6 months after rhinoplasty?

I just don't understand why it still swells up...its strange that after 6 months my nose still throbs, is there a reason to be concerned? I just thought that after two months tops it would be completely healed...its just strange to me that it would take a year for a nose to heal after surgery...I thought the body healed much quicker than that.

Tip swelling after rhinoplasty

+1
After rhinoplasty, tip shape is typically the last thing to settle before seeing the final result; this can take 12 months or longer. During this time you will notice that the size of your tip decreases as swelling resolves and subtle details and tip definition appear.

At 6 months following rhinoplasty, it is normal for tip swelling to continue to fluctuate. Recovery after rhinoplasty will vary based on the person, characteristics of the nasal tissues and what was done during surgery. It can take somewhere in and around 12-18 months to see the final results. The areas with thicker skin in the nose such as the tip, alar rims and radix will require longer to settle. Also there appears to be a linear decrease in swelling for the first several months followed by a period where the swelling fluctuates (sometimes little or no swelling and other times more swelling) before the nose settles.

It's hard but important to stay patient during your recovery and to be diligent attending your follow-up appointments with your surgeon.

Swelling after rhinoplasty

+1
Dear diamond, thank you for your question.It may take several months for swelling to subside after rhinoplasty. Here in San Diego, we follow our patients for one year to follow their healing. Consider following up with your surgeon to monitor your progress and see if any intervention is necessary. Rarely a second opinion may be in order. Best of Luck

Roy A. David, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose swelling several months after surgery

+1
Your situation does not sound outside normal limits. The internal tissues of the nose can be reactive for many months after a rhinoplasty.  If you are concerned have your nose examined by your surgeon.

+1
It is not abnormal to have nasal swelling 6 months after surgery. In general, it can take up to 18-24 months to see the final result of rhinoplasty. 70% of the swelling is resolved after the first 3 months and the remainder goes down over time. I would recommend following up with your surgeon, as he/she knows the details of your procedure and will be able to advise you. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck. 

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Nose still swollen 6 months after rhinoplasty

+1
In many cases, patients will experience swelling up to a year after Rhinoplasty surgery.  Follow up with your Plastic Surgeon for an exam, to determine your stage of healing.  Best wishes for a fast recovery!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

+1
The healing after rhinoplasty normally will take at least 6-12 months, so it is not unusual to still have some swelling present 6 months after the procedure.  The tip of the nose especially takes longer for the swelling to resolve.  The swelling should be slowly improving though, so if you feel it is getting worse, you should contact your surgeon.    

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon