What Do I Have to Go About to Get my Nose Properly Fixed? (photo)

My nose is crooked I am 19 years old, It's the septum of my nose. My eyes have had black rings around them for the past 3 years. I boxed for 7 years therefor i've countered nose accidents numerous times, I cannot breath through one side of my nose, I'm not at all educated in this topic so therefor I'm asking help from you guys. I'm just wanting to be educated on my nose, what's wrong with it, What's going to have to be done to fix it, What's the common price for the procedure.

Crooked Nose Of A Boxer To Be Fixed

+1

Dear Justin,

Based on your description and the photo you have generously shared, it seems that you are in need of a septorhinoplasty where your deviated septum will be addressed and fixed.

Possible osteotomies could be involved to enhance the external look of your nasal bridge but without physical evaluations it is hard to determine what is needed and what is elective at this point. So the cost of the surgery will fluctuate depending on what is to be planned as your surgery that should be executed under general anesthesia.

That being said please remember that commendable results require an exceptionally skilled surgeon to perform the surgery and settling for anything less than that increases the chances of additional corrective surgeries dramatically.

I hope this helps and please feel free to check the website below.

Thank you for your inquiry.
The best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Recommendation to fix crooked nose and improve breathing.

+1

To improve airflow through a nose with a deviated septum, a septoplasty must be performed.  A deviated septum is usually the result of getting hit in the nose, causing a part of the septum to fracture off the midline thereby creating an airflow blockage.  Osteotomies are performed to straighten and realign the nasal pyramid back to its pre-injury state.  While osteotomies will straighten the external portion of the nose, all the incisions are placed internally.  A cast is applied across the nose, however there is no packing placed inside the nose.  Both the septoplasty and the reduction of the nasal fracture can be performed under general anesthesia, which will take approximately 1 hour.  This is not considered cosmetic and is usually billed to the patient’s medical insurance.

Fixing a crooked nose

+1

In general, fixing a crooked nose is a very difficult procedure and requires a specialist to achieve the best result.  It is not possible to make the nose 100% straight, but you can definitely see a great improvement following surgery.  Trauma to the nose can result in a deviated septum, which can lead to a deviated nose.  A septorhinoplasty would be necessary to fix the issues you are experiencing, and an exam would really be necessary to determine an exact plan of action that dictates what procedures your surgeon would perform in the operating room. 

The typical cost of a primary rhinoplasty can range from $10,000-$15,000 depending on the individual circumstances of the patient.  I would recommend a consultation with an experienced rhinoplasty specialist. Thanks, and I hope this helps answer your questions.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Functional septorhinoplasty after repeated trauma

+1

It appears from your photos that your nose is indeed crooked. The history of boxing certainly can have contributed to both the crooked appearance externally as well as the nasal obstruction symptoms you are having. All this can be the result of trauma. A functional septorhinoplasty can improve your breathing as well as straighten your nose. Your health insurance may or may not cover part of the costs of the procedure. The fees in our area are approximately 3500 for the surgery, 1000 for the facility fee and 750 for the anesthesia. I would see the expertise of a board certified facial plastic surgeon who specializes in nasal surgery. I hope this information helps. 

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Crooked Nose

+1

Dear Justin 233,

Based on your description, you have a combined functional ( breathing) and cosmetic nasal condition. Most of the time, those two issues can be addressed with one operation. It is important for a rhinoplasty specialist to examine both the inside and outside of your nose and then formulate a treatment plan.  Insurance coverage can be considered for the functional or breathing problem.  The remaining costs cannot be accurately conveyed without a full exam and your input as to the desired look.  Lastly, I would not recommend having surgery until your boxing days are over!!!!

Theodore Diktaban, MD, FACS

Septoplasty Rhinoplasty consultation is needed

+1
I have had the opportunity of doing multiple septorhinoplasty boxing patients and other sports patients that have similar injuries. Typically due to the trauma induced during these sports the nasal septum is deviated which leads to the nasal airway obstruction. Both the functional and aesthetic problems with the nose must be addressed so that after surgery your nose looks natural and your breathing function is restored to normal. A good consultation and physical examination is needed. I also use a computer imaging during my consultations which allows me to show you the proposed cosmetic changes prior to surgery. See a good qualified surgeon and they will answer all of your very pertinent questions. Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD

Nasal fix after boxing injuries

+1

It is unlikely that any boxers have normal nasal breathing, and after the multiple injuries there may be poor nasal support and a thickened and deviated nasal septum. If your boxing days are not over, you should wait. However, if you are giving up the sport you will need a careful examination by a board certified plastic surgeon in your area.

Nasal airway obstruction

+1

Most likely you have a crooked nose and a deviated septum.  It is not possible to tell from your photograph.  A physical examination is needed to tell the extend of your septal deviation or nasal airway obstruction.  If this is a reconstructive rhinoplasty and performed for nasal airway obstruction due to trauma then it is likely that insurance will cover the procedure.  The next step is an evaluation.  

Rhinoplasty consultation

+1

A rhinoplasty may be indicated for you based upon your history of trauma and inability to breathe.  An exam in person is key to evaluate you properly. Good luck.

You Need An Evaluation and Possibly Surgery

+1

Hello Neighbor,

Nasal obstruction has many causes.  Given you history, it is likely that your obstruction is secondary to trauma to the nose from boxing, but other causes need to ruled out before we can make that conclusion.

During your evaluation, we would check to see if you had:

1)  Allergies

2)  Mass in the nose

3)  A perforation or hole in your septum

4)  Deviated septum

5)  Collapsed internal nasal valve

If you had a history or signs of allergies, we could do a trial of medications to see if that improved your breathing.  Any patient stating they have nasal obstruction on one side of the nose, I make sure there is not a mass inside the nose by using a small telescope to visualize the inside the nose.

Patients that have a multiple injuries to your nose may have a hole of the septum, deviation of the septum, or a collapsing of the internal nasal valve.  These can all be evaluated by a rhinoplasty specialist.

After a proper evaluation, a treatment plan can be recommended.  If surgery is required, then the portion of the procedure to fix the breathing may be covered by insurance while a cosmetic portion the patient would be responsible.  

As a rhinoplasty specialist in Charlotte, I would be happy to evaluate your nose.

I hope this helps,

Warmest regards,

Dr. Kulbersh

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon