Why is my nose a lot wider post rhinoplasty 7 months? (photo)

I got septo/rhino 7 months ago, had a dorsal hump removed and also deviated septum fixed. My tip was always on bigger side, but never had a problem with it, that it why I didnt have any tip work done. After this procedure I am very disappointed, I have a nice side profile now but my front view has changed-looks a lot wider and flatter, and my tip looks bigger now too. What caused this? do I need a revision? surgeon said I need to be patient but I don't think the shape of my nose will change :(

Wider nose following nasal surgery.

+2

You did not mention whether the surgeon broke your nasal bones (called osteotomies) which are controlled fractures of the nasal bones near the cheek. This procedure allows the nasal bones to come together and narrow a nose. If he did not, then when the hump was taken down you will end up with what plastic surgeons call a flat top. Correction of this would require another surgery under general anesthesia

Why is my nose a lot wider post rhinoplasty 7 months?

+2

I do not see that the tip is much wider, and it may improve in the next 6 months or so.

The nose can be swollen for up to a year or more. Swelling will depend upon the nature of maneuvers employed, presence of grafts or implants, thickness of skin, open vs closed, revision vs primary, etc.

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com/Rhinoplasty.php

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.