My Nose Looks Like a Balloon and is Twice As Big 9 Days After Rhinoplasty. Is That Normal?

I had my surgery 9 days ago. When the cast initially came off I liked the look.. By the time I woke up the nose was twice the size and looks horrible. Is this normal? Will it look small soon?

Swelling after rhinoplasty

+1

9 days is still soon after your surgery, and you are right around the peak of your swelling. In general, 70% of the swelling will resolve after the first 3 months, and the remainder goes down over time. The final result of surgery will not be evident for 18-24 months. Thickness of the skin and whether or not tip work was performed can influence swelling. I would give it some time and see how you heal, and speak with your surgeon regarding any immediate post-operative concerns. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck with the remainder of your recovery. 

Rhinoplasty, swelling

+1

It is not uncommon to have a lot of swelling particularly in the tip especially if you had an open rhinoplasty. Any potential tip work such as cartilage graft may also make the swelling appear worse. At this point you will have to be patient.

David L. Abramson, MD

Nose Swelling after Cast Removed Following Rhinoplasty

+1

Nose swelling tends to appear worse after the cast is removed, because the cast acts to compress it.  Some increase in swelling may be normal, but, if the nose is twice as big, I would see your plastic surgeon.