My Nose is Itchy 6 Days After Rhinoplasty, is That Normal?

The cast is still on but the itch is really annoying and worrying.

Is it normal to have an itchy nose 6 days after rhinoplasty?

+1

It is not uncommon for the nose to be itchy following rhinoplasty.  The nasal cast can be irritating and does not allow much oxygen to flow to the outer nasal skin.  Itching can also be a sign of healing as the nerves are regenerating. In general, side effects from a rhinoplasty include but are not limited to the following:

1) Congestion
2) Itchy/Irritated nasal skin
3) Swelling
4) Minor pain
5) Numbness

It is important to resist the urge to touch and scratch your nose.  Since you are six days post-op, the cast should be coming off in another day or so and you will feel some relief. I would recommend discussing any concerns with your surgeon, as he/she knows the extent of your procedure.  Thanks and good luck with your recovery!

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Itchy Nose After Rhinoplasty

+1

Dear Inesar,

It is common that patients develop an itchy nose after rhinoplasty. I recommend that you consult with your surgeon to keep him/her in the loop of your recovery process.

I understand that it is not a pleasant feeling at all but it will resolve on its own.

Thank you for your inquiry.

The best of luck you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Itchy after Rhinoplasty

+1

Itching after surgery does occur and is usually a good sign that the healing is progressing nicely without any infection.

John S. Poser, MD

Rhinoplasty

+1

This is normal and should resolve. However, in rare cases, cold sore blisters have occurred in some patients. 

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon