What Can Be Done to my Bulky Nose in a Revision Rhinoplasty? (photo)

I had a closed rhinoplasty 7 months ago. I am unsatisfied with my results. My nose is too bulky. The sidewalls of my nose are too thick and wide. I wish my nose could become thinner, the tip more pointed and the dorsum more curved. To what extent are my expectations realistic? What other resolutions do you recommend? Do I need a revision in the first place? How bad or good are my results? I also don't breath well and my surgeon has no explanation to that.

Improve bulky nose with revision rhinoplasty

+2

There are many ways to narrow or debulk the nose with rhinoplasty. It would be helpful to see your initial preoperative photos but I suspect that more could be done. Your nose may still heal further for a few more months.

From the photos you've shown I do get a sense of some supra tip fullness than could be refined further. This could be persistent swelling, residual septal cartilage or scar tissue. It may also be possible to narrow the tip cartilages which could help create the tip definition you're looking for.

To see what could be done to improve you breathing an internal nasal exam would need to be done. There are many structural components within the nose that can hinder nasal airflow.

The key in situations like yours to to make sure you and your surgeon are on the same page regarding goals and expectations. Find a revision rhinoplasty specialist who is well versed in treating both cosmetic and functional issues with the nose.

Correcting a 'Bulky' Nose with Revision Rhinoplasty

+2

So much can ride on the expectations of a patient having Rhinoplasty. Hopefully your hopes and the surgeon's ability to set expectations coincide. However your surgeon may have done exactly what he thought you wanted and may be happy with the result, even though you are not. At this point I would recommend waiting it out for a year from the date of surgery before attempting any revisional surgery. At that point it would be important to know what was done to the nose during the first surgery and to see preoperative photographs as well. Then an exam to determine the skin thickness and the amount of cartilage support would be needed. It will likely be possible to further narrow your nose and create a narrower tip if that is your desire. However, make sure you are being seen by a surgeon well versed in Rhinoplasty. Best of Luck  Dr Harrell

Jon F. Harrell, DO

Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

I suggest you wait another 6 months before making any decisions about a revision. You do have thicker skin so your result may improve over the next few months. Your criticisms are appropriate and I do feel it would be reasonable to expect improvement with additional surgery.

Revision rhinoplasty

+1

First, I would say that you result looks very natural. Second, I think that you have to wait at least a full year before undergoing a revision.  Third, your tissues appear fairly thick so to have thin nostrils or a very thin tip may be difficult to achieve.  The dorsal line can be lowered if that bothers you.