How Can my Nose Hump Be Removed? (photo)

Hi, I have a big nose hump, I think it`s because of an injury in the past. I would like to ask how can this be corrected. The thing is, if I slightly raise my nose tip, the hump almost disappears and the nose itself doesn`t look big because of raising it. Can this be treated like that or is there a need to "cut" the hump of. Thanks. Also.. Do you think products like nose magic can help with this? If the tip could be raised up by moving cartilage what these products claim to do..

Nasal hump can be removed

+1

A large hump on the nose is composed of both bone and cartilage, and can only be removed by surgery.  There are no injections in the nose such as fillers that can be performed to make the hump go away.  Once the hump is surgically removed the nasal sidewalls will also need to be narrowed to close any open roof deformity that can result so as to prevent the square top nose.

Getting rid of dorsal hump

+1

Judging from your photo, it does appear that there is a prominent dorsal hump. This can be removed during surgery. I will respectfully disagree with some of the other surgeons who said that they would not recommend raising your tip. You have a dependent tip (i.e. it is slightly turning down), and if the hump is removed, your nose will likely appear very long on lateral (side) view. I would very conservatively support your tip with a very slight elevation. As long as this is very precisely done, this would not feminize your tip or your nose. It would rather restore a better balance to the nose after the hump is removed. This is merely my opinion, which will likely differ from that of others. For this reason, I recommend seeking the advice of a few different experienced rhinoplasty specialists.

Ryan Greene, MD, PhD
Fort Lauderdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal Hump Removal?

+1

Thank you for the question that picture.

Yes, nasal hump reduction may be helpful as part of a rhinoplasty planned by a well experienced surgeon. Make your selection of surgeon carefully.

Hump removal

+1

A nasal hump consists of bone as well as cartilage. Often the bone is shaved and the cartilage is cut with a knife or scissors.

How Can my Nose Hump Be Removed?

+1

From the photo a significant hump exists.  This would require medial and lateral osteotomies to remove the hump and bring the nasal bones back together in the midline.  This can be done with a closed Rhinoplasty in about 1 hour IMHO.  You'd have a plastic cast on the nose for 1 week and I don't use any nasal packing in Rhinoplasty Surgery.  Hope this helps.

Dorsal hump reduction in rhinoplasty

+1

Your current tip position is appropriate for a male. If you raise the tip you may end up looking straight into the nostrils on a frontal view. Your best option is removal of the hump and closure of the open roof. Instead of pushing up the tip and looking in the mirror I suggest you look at the photo you posted on realself and cover the hump with the edge of a piece of paper extending from the concave area at eyelash level to the outer surface of the tip. The improvement you see simulates the hump removal and is very easy to appreciate/see. I suspect you would also benefit from decreasing the forward cheek to tip projection. That is an option you should be given but the final decision should be yours.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Nasal Hump

+1

By raising your nasal tip, this would diminish the prominent of the nasal hump, but leave you with a feminized nose.  I feel like you could get a great result by shaving down the nasal hump and possibly augmenting the radix to enhance your profile!  Please consult with a board certified specialist for a proper evaluation of your nose and to help you achieve the results you desire.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Removal of Nasal Hump

+1

Lifting your nasal tip will reduce the relative height of the hump, but you do not want to feminize your nose by raising the tip. Nose magic may be helpful, but I don't know where you'll use it - certainly not on your nose. Augmenting the radix, the area above the bump, would also help. I feel some reduction of the hump will be necessary, but consult with an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon.