Does my Nose Have Any Hope of Getting Thinner? (photo)

I had septorhinoplasty (no tip work) 3 months ago, and now my nose seems really wide from the front after removing the dorsal hump especially the lower 2/3 of the nose. 80% of my swelling should be gone by now im really loosing all hope that it will ever look like my old nose again. I like the side profile but hate the front especially in pictures. Does my nose stand a chance of getting thinner? Or is revision in the future books?

Nasal base wider than expected

+2

Your nasal base does seem wide.  I would review the operative procedure with your surgeon so that you can determine which part is swelling and which part is technical.  

Swelling at 3 months after rhinoplasty

+2

You have to be patient.  It will take many months for the swelling to completely go away. Be patient.  More than likely it will thin out.

Wide nose after rhinoplasty

+2

Hello Julie,

Yes, at three months, a lot of the swelling should have settled down. Some patients do take quite a bit of time (sometimes a bit longer than the average) for the edema to settle. I would probably give it another three to six months before considering revision. If at this point, the nose is still very wide, you should see an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon for their opinion.

-Dr. Asaria

Jamil Asaria, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Widening of the nose after rhinoplasty

+2

Did your surgeon do osteotomies(bone breaks) to narrow the nose after the hump reduction?  Removal of a dorsal hump will itself make the nose wider without the osteotomies.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD