Will my Nose Keep Growing? I Am 17. (photo)

Hi. I came across a doctor who simply did not want to do surgery on me because I'm 17 (born February). He told me that I should come back December because my nose might get deformed after the nose job. What I want to know is, is this true? And what are the chances of this happening? My other doctors seemed fairly sure that my face has stopped developing.. Note: I'm having the hump reduced, tip lifted, and the overall nose narrowed.

Facial growth is complete in a female aged 17.

+1

Facial growth is complete in females by the early teenage years. By now your nose should be stable in size and would not influence strategies of a plastic surgeon performing a rhinoplasty on you.

Rhinoplasty surgery and the right age

+1

Dear diana5701,

1. At the age of seventeen, almost everyone is ready for surgery, especially females who mature sooner than males
  2. Your nose should not get deformed after surgery unless it suffers some trauma
  3. You should also consider a chin augmentation at the same time, it will really improve the results of your rhinoplasty and look natural

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Age 17 for rhinoplasty

+1

Most  facial plastic surgeons around the country  would agree that age 17 for a woman is in acceptable time to undergo a rhinoplasty.Best to seek out 2-3 consultations and opinions

By the age of 15 to 16 most girls are ready physically for rhinoplasty. For boys its usually 16 to 17

+1

Each patient needs to be evaluated as a individual. However most girls are past their growth spurt by the age of 15 and are physically ready for rhinoplasty. Most boys have a later growth spurt and that is pushed to 16 years of age. However, more importantly is the psychological maturity of the patient and the ability to make a mature adult decision regarding the reasons for rhinoplasty.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Rhinoplasty age

+1

Generally your nose has matured by age 17.  You and your parent should see a board certified surgeon for evaluation.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Will my Nose Keep Growing? I Am 17

+1

Maybe obtains additional IN PERSON opinions might afford you a better response. I see no issue doing your rhinoplasty NOW! 

Surgery at 17

+1

I think it is safe to operate your nose at your age. Consider consulting with a surgeon that has experience with rhinoplasty.

Andres Bustillo, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty in a women at 17

+1

I think that is is OK to perform a rhinoplasty on a young lady at 17. By this point you should be at adult size.  Certainly reasonable.

Rhinoplasty for Teenagers

+1

Thanks for the question and photos. I wrote an article about this subject (link below). For girls, the usual rule of thumb is 2 years after the onset of menses (the start of your menstrual periods). In general, this means around age 16, though for some, it is possible to consider the surgery at even age 14 or 15. Typically teenage boys should wait until around 17 or 18, as the face continues to change and mature a bit later for boys, as they go through their growth spurts. Every situation is different, so these are just general guidelines. Obviously, it's also important to consider emotional maturity as well.  

By age 17, I would suspect that it's unlikely that your nose will change to any great extent. The most important bit of advice I can give you is to select a surgeon who truly specializes in rhinoplasty and does a large volume of noses, as this is a very delicate and precise operation which requires specific training and experience. 

Best regards,

Dr. Mehta

Umang Mehta, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon