What Should I Do About my Nose is It Fractured or What?

My nose is crooked it forms a small hump on the way down and all the time I can only breath through one nostril while the other stays unbreatheble or no air can go through it (no flu or whatsoever )

Trauma or normal development

+1
The nasal bones and septum can be fractured during trauma. At the time of injury, you may have significant bleeding from your nose, swelling and bruising of the nose and surrounding areas, deformity of the nose that wasn't present prior to the injury, and a increased difficulty breathing. With regard to broken noses, there are essentially 2 factors that are important: 1) nasal fractures affecting the external appearance of the nose, and 2) septal fractures affecting the nasal airflow and possibly the external appearance of the nose. Fractures affecting the external nose may be evident immediately following the injury or may require a few days for the swelling to subside to completely appreciate. Septal fractures will typically take several days to start to notice as the person usually attributes the poor breathing to swelling and only when it is persistent becomes suspicious.

More commonly, a bump on the bridge of the nose or breathing problems due to a deviated septum are developmental-the way your face grew. Either way, both the appearance and nasal airway obstruction may be able to be corrected with surgery. You should seek evaluation by a board certified plastic surgeon.

Insurance May Cover Rhinoplasty To Correct Decreased Breathing

+1

Thank you for your question.  The fact that you have decreased breathing and a crooked nose likely means that your nasal septum is deviated to one side causing the crooked appearance and also blocking your breathing through your nose.

You should consult a rhinoplasty expert who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and who is well known for his or her rhinoplasty results.

After your examination the doctor will determine if there is nasal obstruction. Usually if obstruction causes breathing disturbance the insurance will cover  the procedure although there may be an additional "cosmetic fee".

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Crooked nose with breathing issue

+1

The airflow restriction can be due to a variety of factors; nasal fracture, septal deviation, enlargement of the turbinates, and valve collapse.  All of these issues need to be addressed at the time of the physical examination by your nasal surgeon.  A simple straightening of the nose to improve the airflow dynamics would be billed to the patient’s medical insurance out of medical necessity.  Any cosmetic changing of the appearance of the nose is considered cosmetic surgery and is paid for by the patient.  Both functional and cosmetic surgery can be performed simultaneously under anesthesia.

Possible Deviated Septum

+1

Sounds like you may have a deviated septum-  and possible enlarged turbinates-  to go along with the crookedness.  This is quite common, and oftentimes, is best treated with a septoplasty, which can be performed at the same time as the cosmetic work.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fixing a crooked nose

+1

Photos and/or an examination would really be necessary to provide you with the best advice.  From what you describe, you may have a deviated septum which is responsible for your impaired breathing.  The approach taken by your surgeon would depend on your individual circumstances and the nature of your current condition. For example, whether or not trauma was involved at any point and your general goals with the procedure would both be factors leading to a surgery plan.  For instances where patients desire both a repair of a deviated septum and cosmetic improvements, a septorhinoplasty may address their needs.  Thank you and I hope this helps.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

+1

It sounds like you may have a crooked nose with septal cartilage deviation but without an examination it's not possible to determine if this is the case.  Find an experienced Rhinoplasty Surgeon that understands and follows the proper aesthetics of facial (and nasal) beauty for the creation of a naturally, more attractive nose and face.  

Nasal Trauma

+1

The first piece of information I would require is this a new problem or is this a problem you have had for an extended period of time.

Jay M. Pensler, MD

Nasal airway obstruction

+1

You can have both a fracture of the bone of the nose as well as a fracture of the septal cartilage.  When the cartilage of the nose is injured it will warp and twist causing nasal airway obstruction.   It is likely that a septoplasty will help improve your nasal airway obstruction.  A thorough exam is needed to make this determination.   

Native Nose

+1

If there has been any recent or past nasal trauma, you need to see a Head & Neck Surgeon and receive an appropriate nasal evaluation complete with facial radiography.  If you were born with congenital  nasal obstruction and deformity, I recommend a Facial Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgeon consultation.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Breathing and nasal deviation

+1

If your obstruction of air is due to the deviation, then straightening the nose should help improve the breathing.  An exam in person is best to establish what can be accomplished.