Is my Nose Damaged?

3 days ago a basketball hit me square in the head, my nose and eyes were swollen for two days but now the swelling has subsided. My nose does not appear to be crooked and there was no bleeding but my nose has a bump on top of it and seems flat. Now when I sneeze some dry blood comes out of my nose. Thanks zefloptacorn

Damaged Nose

+2

Sorry for your injury!

If you have not seen a Facial Plastic Surgeon or ENT I would do so now.

Feel free to email pics to me and I will review.

Pictures are not a substitute for a physical examination but it's a start.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon

Visit a Physician to Determine Broken Nose

+1

It is best to see a physician at this point who has experience examining noses to determine if you have, in fact, broken your nose.  Most importantly, are you breathing normally through your nose?  Are you having difficulty breathing from one side?  These are important issues to address.

Anthony Bared, MD
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hit In The Nose with a Ball

+1

Hi zefloptacorn,

Wait a few days to weeks for the swelling to go down. If you still feel it looks flatter, you should be evaluated by a facial plastic surgeon (bring a picture of your nose prior to the injury). In the meantime sleep elevated 30-40 degrees.

Good luck.

Dr. Kaniff

Thomas E. Kaniff, MD
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal Trauma

+1

A proper evaluation of the inside and outside of your nose is warranted to determine if there is any damage.  You will have significant nasal swelling for about 7-10 days after the incident, so an evaluation should be scheduled around that time frame.  There may be damage to the inside of your nose so please consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon/ENT who can best evaluate you.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Nosebleed after trauma does not necessarily mean a broken nose.

+1

The injury descibed might be a nasal fracture.  A visit to the plastic surgeon will sort this out.  Treatment will depend on the nature of the injury and how soon after trauma treatment is sought. 

Broken nose evaluation

+1

Dear zefloptacom,

• 3 days is usually the peak of swelling
  • If you have any issues breathing, you should see a facial plastic surgeon or ENT surgeon to make sure you do not have a collection of blood within the wall of your nose
  • If it is not crooked, it probably did not bleed, but seeing a doctor (especially if you have insurance) can set a baseline evaluation that may be covered by insurance if there is a fracture
  • It is much more difficult to get any nasal injury covered by insurance months down the line

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Trauma to Nose

+1

I would suggest seeing a specialist for a direct examination to see if any damage came to your nose from the recent trauma. With your description of the events it sounds like you may have some possible nasal trauma that is either soft tissue related or fracture related. An examination will help give a proper diagnosis and prognosis. I treat a lot of sports injuries and basketball and soccer are the most common for direct trauma to the nose. A specialist ENT or Facial Plastic Surgeon will further advise you after consultation. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Is my Nose Damaged?

+1

Based on your description your nose definitely suffered an injury. The main question is whether you also had a nasal fracture. Soft tissue injuries typically heal without any problems but if the bump on your bridge has resulted from a fracture then it might not resolve without further treatment. I recommend that you see an ENT or Facial Plastic Surgeon to evaluate your nose. If there is a fracture present, it can typically be repaired without surgery in the office in the first two weeks. Beyond a couple of weeks, nasal fractures are typically repaired by cutting and resetting the nasal bones or by rasping down the bump on the bridge. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon