Would my Nose Become Permanently Weak After Undergoing an Osteotomy Procedure?

I am considering to go under the knife and a doctor suggested osteotomy procedure to narrow my nasal bone, but I am a basketball player and I am prone to getting hurt on my face and body. Would an osteotomy procedure on my nose make my nose more vulnerable to fractures in the future?

Nasal Weakness after Osteotomies

Your -nose will temporarily be weak after a rhinoplasty with fractures of the nasal bones but strength will return after healing for several months. I tell my patients to avoid any nasal trauma for 6 weeks after surgery and then to be cautious for another 4-6 months.

416 N Bedford Dr
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

Rhinoplasty Does Not Make The Nose More Vulnerable To Fractures Once Healed

The osteotomies from a rhinoplasty do temporarily weaken the nasal bones and may take up to six months to completely heal by bony union. Once they are healed they are not permanently weak and are at no greater risk of fracture injury than someone who has never had a rhinoplasty.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Indiana University Health North Hospital
Carmel, IN 46032

Osteotomy with rhinoplasty

The majority of rhinoplasty procedures require an osteotomy procedure to be performed in order to thin the nose. Once this is healed it would take a bit of force to fracture. I have operated on several professional basketball, soccer and baseball players with no noted difficulties with secondary fractures. Some of these patients have a  follow up history of approximately eight years. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

360 San Miguel Drive
Newport Beach, CA 92660

Osteotomy of nose

Osteotomies are performed with rhinoplasty for multiple reasons. Once they heal they are pretty strong and will need to be solidly struck to fracture.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

Rhinoplasty and Future Nose Problems

Osteotomies performed during rhinoplasty heal quickly within a few weeks.  After that period of time, the nasal bones are very durable.  Find the plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties each year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

435 North Roxbury Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

Osteotomies for rhinoplasty

Osteotomies are required for most rhinoplasties and for re-setting a broken nose. After osteotomies have been performed, it takes approximally 6 weeks for the nose bones to heal rather solidly. It would take a significant amount of force to break the nose at this point.

1101 Madison St
Seattle, WA 98104