Why is my Nose Asymmetrical, Deviating to the Left? How Can It Be Fixed? (photo)

My nose deviates to the left. I also have incompetent lips. Are they connected? How can I correct my nose? Would a Septoplasty Work Instead of a Rhinoplasty?

Nasal septal deviation

+2

Both a septoplasty and rhinoplasty will be needed to be performed to straighten the nose and make it more symmetrical. There also appears to be asymmetric tip cartilages as well as in crooked deviated dorsal septum. A spreader graft may also be required  on the concave side.

Rhinoplasty with septoplasty for crooked nose with wide tip.

+2

Rhinoplasty with septoplasty for crooked nose with wide tip is what you need for your septal deviation and wide tip. Your tip requires a very experienced surgeon or you will end up with a pinched tip. 

Nose asymmetry and tip deflection

+2

Usually nasal deviations are due to septal deflections and sometimes involves bony issues.  the septal cartialge has memory and likes to bend a certain way. Correction often requires manipulation of the septal cartilage and sometimes adding grafts, removing cartilage, and/or using sutures to modify the septal cartilage position. 

Why is my Nose Asymmetrical, Deviating to the Left? How Can It Be Fixed?

+2

Deviation of the nose to one side typically either results from trauma or the natural growth and maturation of the nose. The bone and cartilage can be shaped and straightened with a rhinoplasty procedure. Ensure that you consult with rhinoplasty experts to ensure your best chance at a great result. I hope this information is helpful. 

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose deviation?

+2

It would require an examination to tell for sure, but it looks to me from your photo that the primary problem is that your septum deviates to your left side.  A septoplasty typically does not involve the top of the septum (nearest the bridge) so it would not correct this by itself.  I think you would likely need a rhinoplasty but would eed more views and an exam to be sure.

Colin Pero, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

+2

Dear Johnson,

Thank you for your question and photos.  The main reason this happens is that the cartilage of the septum and or tip becoms warped and turns to that direction. This can happen from trauma, or for no external reason at all.  A rhinoplasty in the right hands can fix this.  The septum and nasal tip cartilages need to be adjusted and cartilage grafts need to be placed so that the nose heals straighter.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty for an asymmetrical nose

+1

Dear Johnson82,

1. Fixing a crooked nose starts with a septoplasty, and you would need a rhinoplasty at the same time for a complete treatment
  2. I agree with Dr. Mayer that you are at risk for a pinched tip if you do not go to an experienced surgeon, because the tendency is to remove cartilage instead of re-positioning them

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD