Will my Nose and Tip Get Smaller with Time Following Septo-rhinoplasty?

I had open septo-rhinoplasty with a graft three weeks ago. The cast came off last week. I am delighted with my new side profile - hump is completely gone- but the front and tip still look enormous. I know that there is likely to be swelling but I am just a bit worried because the side looks fine whereas the front looks huge. Also people are telling me it doesn't 'look' swollen, although the tip to me feels really numb and hard.I had wanted my tip reduced & raised and my surgeon said he did this

Evaluation of Rhinoplasty Surgery

+2

Three weeks is far too early to start analyzing final outcomes.  With rhinoplasty we are much more interested in the long term results.  Remember, the skin and soft tissues are lifted, the bone and cartilage changed and the skin is then redraped.  That skin needs to reform over those changes that were made and that takes time. My advice is to wait at least 6 months to start evaluating the surgery.  Good luck!

Kansas City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty before and after

+2

Dear ed29idn,

• 3 weeks is still way, way too early to start worrying
  • The tip is the last place where the swelling comes down so you have to be patient
  • It will continue to improve for the next 6 months, this is a marathon, not a sprint
  • It sounds like you will have a great result

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Tip and front of nose swollen

+1

If you are happy with your profile that is great!  More than likely what you are seeing the tip  is from swelling. It should only get better with time.

Rhinoplasty Healing and Tip Swelling

+1

You should not be too worried at this point - you are very early in the healing process, especially from an open rhinoplasty approach with grafting. I usually tell my patients that 70-80% of the swelling will be resolved by around 3-4 months out. Of course, this is just a general guideline. But, the bottom line is that you are way early. Hang in there. 

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon