Why is my Nipple Turning Black After a Simple Lump Removal?

I had surgery to remove a mass from my breast, it was not cancer, it was just a routine surgery. Now my nipple is turning black, my surgeon explains that "it happens" and is a side effect of the surgery. I have searched everywhere and the only cases i can see are this happening after breast reduction surgery. Why did this happen? I understand from him that if the circulation does not return i will have to have my nipple removed!!! Do i see another doctor? Any advice please!!

Nipple Black after Lump Removal?

+1

I'm sorry to hear about the complication you are experiencing. However, without knowing more details of your previous surgical history, medical history, use of nicotine, and the exact procedure performed  it is not possible to advise you. Obviously, there has been significant compromise of the blood flow to the nipple/areola.  Assuming you have chosen your surgeon carefully and remain confident in his abilities/advice,  continue to follow-up with him closely. If in doubt,  a 2nd opinion  in person consultation may be helpful to you.