Will my Nipple Look Normal? Is This an Open Wound and Will It Heal Properly? (photo)

I had a reconstruction surgery not he 16th aug(2.nd lift +implants)My doc told me to keep the strips on for a week. after a week i was told to keep them on for another few days, so i took

Normal Nipple?#breastimplants

+2

It is not uncommon for patients to have wound healing problems after having any kind of an augmentation and lift, or reduction surgery with the pattern of incisions that you have. Your wound does appear to be clean and non-infected. I would continue keeping it clean with soap and water in the shower and dressing changes 2-3 times a day until it closes. You may need a scar revision down the road. The most important thing here is to keep an eye on the breast to make sure if you have signs of implant infection you seek care immediately. Make sure your surgeon knows so that they can keep an eye on you and take care of you. Things like this happen to all of us in our careers at some point. Diabetes and smoking are two things that lead to increased wound healing complications. No idea if you have either, but what you are experiencing does happen. 

Nipple wound

+2

You need to see your surgeon to look after the wound to minimize the scars. If dressed well it should heal soon, occasionally deep surtures (vicryl) can delay wound healing. Your surgeon will be able to assess that if you regularly follow up with the surgeon.

Sanjay Parashar, MD
Dubai Plastic Surgeon

Will my Nipple Look Normal? Is This an Open Wound and Will It Heal Properly?

+2

Great posted photo of your issues. BEST to be seen ASAP by the surgeon for treatment of this dehiscence or wound separation. 

Will my Nipple Look Normal

+2

This would separation and the intersection of two incisions on the breast is not uncommon. These usually heal uneventfully. Although a nuisance for you, you can expect this to have a nice outcome, the same that you would have attained had this not occurred. 

Do expect this part of the scar to be red for a longer time period that the rest of the scar.

Follow up with your surgeon.Thanks for the question, best wishes.

Appears to be a small area of incision separation

+1

Thank you for the photos.  There are a handful of reasons why incisions would be partially separated including infection, too much tension, improper suturing, vascular compromise (not enough blood supply), etc.  Whatever the actual source of the incision separation it appears that it is a small area without overt signs of blood supply issues or infection.  General wound care should suffice to allow it to heal.  You may need a scar revision down the road when all things have healed.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Wound Healing Problem around Areola after Breast Lifting?

+1

Thank you for the question and picture.

This type of superficial wound healing problem (or incision line separation) does occur occasionally after breast lifting or breast reduction surgery. Generally speaking, with good care, these areas go on to heal nicely and do not detract from the long-term results you can expect. Occasionally, if the scar is wider in this area, scar revision surgery may become helpful.

I would suggest that you continue to follow up closely with your plastic surgeon;  you should have some peace of mind that you will likely end up with very nice result despite this complication.