My Nine-year-old's Ear Piercing Ripped, Not All the Way Through, but Close?

Her earring snagged on something and the piercing hole is now very elongated and close to the bottom of her earlobe. I know the procedure to fix the elongation/rip, because I had it done myself a few years ago. (She and I have the same, small lobes.) I'm wondering about best course of action. Should we remove the earrings, let the piercings close, and attempt piercing again in a few years? Or is it best to fix the rip now, when she's younger? Thank you...

Options to repair torn earlobe ?

+2

If your daughter's earlobe injury is new, you should remove the ear ring and let the piercing heal. It is possible that the tear might heal well enough that she wouldn't require a minor procedure to repair it. If the tear is older or has healed completely it will shrink over time but will never completely close. In that case, she would benefit from an earlobe repair to close the tear and then re-pierce her ear. If she is OK with the procedure, this can be performed under local anesthesia in the office. Patients are typically very satisfied with the results. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Repair of Split Ears in 9 year old

+2

Sounds like this ear lobe is almost totally ripped! They usually in my experience dont heal on their own. If your daughter ia cooperative this is easy to fix in the office setting. It can be repierced at a different location shortly thereafter. 

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Torn earlobe

+2

From the sound of it, the simplest thing to do is to have it surgically repaired and re-pierced at a later time.  

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Partial Ear Lobe Tear; Treatment Options?

+2

It won't hurt to remove earrings and allow the “tear"  to heal as much as possible spontaneously. Further “reconstruction” may or may not be necessary depending on the degree of healing that occurs spontaneously.

Otherwise, the timing of the repair ( if necessary)  is a personal decision;  can be done now or at a later date without difference in healing…

Will my 9 year olds ears heal, or should we have them fixed?

+2

If this is something that just happened, I would remove the earrings, keep the area clean and allow the two raw edges to close back up.  Once the skin has regrown and there is no longer any raw edges, the ears will not heal on their own at that point. Try it and see what happens before getting it fixed surgically.

Erez Sternberg, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Ripped piercing on earlobe

+2

There is no one correct answer to your question.  It could be done either way and ultimately would be your choice.  If you remove the earring now, I'm not sure the piercing (and rip) would close on their own, but you could try it.  There would be no harm in seeing if that worked first and then she could always have the rip repaired later if needed.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

9 year old with torn earlobe hole

+1
This happens all the time. Holes can be uneven. Holes can stretch over time, or are stretched after trauma, (kids pulling on earrings).  We repair these holes often under local anesthesia in the office. Give your local facial plastic surgeon or board certified plastic surgeon a call.

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Earlobe repair

+1

Once the earlobe hole has been stretched out it usually requires repair. I would most likely recommend repair with re-piercing 8 weeks later.  

Jennifer L. Harrington MD 

Jennifer Harrington, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Re: Ripped Ear Piercing and Split Earlobe Repair

+1

If the piercing hole has nearly reached the bottom of the earlobe, it would be best to repair it now as opposed to just removing the earrings and letting the piercings close. This elongation of the piercing will not get better on its own.

A split earlobe procedure is a very common and relatively simple procedure.

After it is done, you can wait around six weeks before having the earlobe repierced.  

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

The slit in the earlobe can be repaired and the tract reconstructed in one step.

+1

I like to use a technique in which part of the skin lining the cleft of the torn earlobe (partial or complete) is used to create a new tract for the earring. This places the tract in the original position which was hopefully the correct position. Repairing the cleft and then re-piercing will often place the piercing in scar tissue which is not ideal. This technique works very well and is almost "instant gratification", since a sterile  earring is inserted at the time of the procedure.The procedure can be done easily under local anesthesia in the office.

Rodney A. Green, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon