My neurologist is recommending Botox. I know that he says the treatments need to be done about every 3 mos - but for how long?

Exactly how long would these 3 month treatments need to last? Is it different for everyone? My shots would be at each side of my temple and one in my neck. Also, my insurance is covering 80%. Each unit - my doctor is with Yale University Hospital - costs $59, which is above average, which when you take into account other fees, is every more costly, which is why I am wondering about the long-term cost. I am at the end of my rope with the pain, so I think I am going to do it.

Migraines

+1
It is hard to predict what response you will have and the length of duration of that response. I have a large population of patients with migraines who have responded very well to Botox injection. Generally speaking, treatments need to be repeated every 3 months but that can vary. It is also hard to predict whether you will need treatments forever. The only way to really have your question answered is to try it out for yourself. Good luck

Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Botox is a great treatment to help control migraines, typically it can last 3-4 months on most patients, although some can metabolize it quicker.

Migraine Relief with Botox

+1

Depending if the Botox injections are providing migraine relief, it could be long term therapeutic relief for you.

Kimberly Butterwick, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox for Migraine

+1

I understand from my neurology colleagues that the affects of Botox for migraines last 3-4 months, but some patients do see 6 months of relief. I cannot really comment on the cost. It varies from state to state.

Stuart H. Bentkover, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Surgical relief often possible

+1

chronic migraine can be debilitating. botox effects last approximately 3 - 4 months.

in certain cases I perform a minimally invasive procedure to decompress the pressure generating points. many of my patients report dramatic results, and long term relief.

David V. Martini, MD
Elkton Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox for Migraines

+1

As a dermatologist, I don't do Botox for migraines, but I find lots of my Botox Cosmetic patients get migraine and headache relief from their Botox injections. They start to get headaches again as the botox wears off so they know when they need to return. If Botox works for your pain, then it may be worth the money, that's a personal choice. Botox only lasts 3-4 months.

Rebecca Baxt, MD
Paramus Dermatologist

Neurologists and Botox for migraines

+1

When Botox is done by a neurologist and covered by insurance, the costs can be staggering. This is because it's not done for cosmetic purposes, but for a medical necessity, making it much costlier. Many patients elect to get Botox for migraine treatments forever, as they never want to undergo the pain of another migraine. You may be lucky enough not to have to do this, but each patient's needs and requirements will be individual. Botox only temporarily stops the nerves from working, so you may need to undergo this indefinitely.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

F. Victor Rueckl, MD