Will my Nasal Sidewall Go Down After 6 Weeks and a Half Post Op/septorhinoplasty? (photo)

Wondering if the right side of my nose is just swelling or an imperfection from my rhinoplasty doctor? from the first day when I removed my tape (3 days after splint removal) I noticed that one side of my nose has more swelling and still 6 weeks and a half later it seems as though there is something extra on my right side of my nose? could this be a graft? Or just swelling?

Will my Nasal Sidewall Go Down After 6 Weeks and a Half Post Op/septorhinoplasty?

+1

Dear Asig,

Thank you for your question and photos.  There seems to be a great deal of swelling, more than expected for 6 weeks out.  If this is swelling, than you should probably avoid activities that get your swelling increased, including vigorous activities, bending your face down, sleeping with your head not elevated above your heart, and anything that gets your blood pressure up.  It takes 6 - 12 months for all the swelling to go away, but this is either a lot of swelling, or just prominent bones.  If it is prominent bones, you will need osteotomies in the future.

Best Wishes, 

Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Swelling vs definite asymmetry at 6 weeks

+1

Thank you for the question.  A before and after photo would help evaluate your current results more accurately.  At 6 weeks however, there is likely to be enough swelling that a definitive answer may not be possible.  You should keep track of your progress with weekly photos taken in the same position/light.  Doing so will allow you to prove to yourself and your plastic surgeon that either things are improving or they are stable.

Dr. Remus Repta

Web reference: http://www.aaaplasticsurgery.com/photo-gallery/details.cfm?ID=189&StartRow=11

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.