My Mother Wants to Get a 'Vampire Facelift'- What Can She Expect?

My mom keeps mentioning it but I want to be sure its safe and there isn't much information on this topic.

Vampire face lifts

If you are referring to the use of platelet rich plasma as a filler and facial enhancer it is quite safe. It is made from the patient's own blood platelets and injected into the face. It is a good facial filler especially for under the eyelid area. Some doctors do the initial procedure and then repeat it inane month and report great results. I have found it to be a useful adjunct to the other fillers and treatments that I offer. There are a couple of good studies by  Dr. Sclafani published in the Archives of Facial Plastic Surgery.

West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

What to expect with a vampire facelift

The vampire facelift is a very safe procedure. With a vampire facelift, we use PRP, or platelet rich plasma. We take some the patient's blood and spin it down into a centrifuge. This will give us the plasma, which has the platelets in it. We remove and discard the red blood cells, and are left with a yellow serum that has all the growth factors. The serum has all the great factors of blood, plus the platelets, which stimulate everything to grow inside, such as the collagen, or angiogenesis. This makes new blood vessels and is great for your skin. You can then inject the PRP into the face, just underneath the skin. Over time, you can get around 10-15% more volume in your face, which can last a few years. It takes about 8 weeks to see. The procedure also gives you a better glow. It helps with your pores and your blemishes, and it gives you overall healthier looking skin.

While your cheeks are full from the PRP injection (cheeks will be full for four or five hours), we also take filler, and will put that in the cheeks and lower eyes. The filler is injected through the same little cannula (hole). The filler will remain for six or seven months. Overall, everything is performed in one procedure that typically only lasts an hour. Adding the filler help with wrinkles that are present, and when combined with the PRP treatment, can really help improve your appearance and give you a younger and more rejuvenated look. Please feel free to ask any specific questions about the procedure, I would be happy to answer them for you!

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Vampire Facelift Expectations

We have been doing the Vampire Facelift for the last 9 months and our patients have been pleased. When done properly, this is a minimally invasive procedure that does lead to increased soft tissue volume, improved skin tone and texture, and happy patients who require zero recovery time. We have combined PRP with Stromal Vascular Fraction (SVF), a stem cell rich solution extracted from ones own fat, to further enhance outcomes. We also offer Ultherapy in conjunction with the Vampire Facelift to get a truly "Non-Surgical Face Lift"!

Steven M. Gitt, MD, FACS
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

My Mother Wants to Get a 'Vampire Facelift'- What Can She Expec

To put it succinctly, she can expect to be disappointed. They draw some blood from her and then separate the red cells from the rest of the fluid and then they inject it into areas on her face. If there had been an injury in that same area, it might help it heal faster, but into normal tissue, it will cause some swelling for a short period of time and then return to normal.

Julio Garcia, MD

Vampire facelift

The name alone should dissuade anyone from having this procedure. The most that you could hope for is to turn into a vampire yourself.

This is all marketing.

I would refer you to the comments of the other respondents most importantly the physician who tried and abandoned the procedure.

Ralph R. Garramone, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Vampire facelift demonstrates the magic of marketing

In my opinion, there is nothing spectacular or special about a Vampire Facelift. It is a marketing gimmick.  It is like McDonalds selling a Big Mac...Two all beef patties, "special sauce", lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions, on sesame seed bun.  Well, what has just been described is just a burger and hamburgers come in many varieties as do facelifts. I recommend she consult with 2-3 board-certifed plastic surgeons, listen to and compare recommendations. Buyer beware of something that sounds too good to be true.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

She can expect only to be separated from some of her money.  I have performed Face Lifts for over 20 years and injecting blood products, into the face, can't, won't and doesn't constitute any type of Face Lift procedure IMHO.  This is more marketing hype than reality IMO.

"Vampire Facelift" Not Yet Proven

While the "vampire facelift" has certainly gotten a lot of mention and media coverage because of the nature of the procedure, it is not yet proven to be effective.  The filling effect and collagen stimulation effect is marginal at best.   I would stay with fillers like restylane, juvederm, sculptra and radiesse.  You will get a lot more improvement and avoid having your blood drawn.  

James C. Marotta, MD
Long Island Facial Plastic Surgeon

Vampire facelift is a waste

First I would agree with all the skeptics answers listed already.  But I will add some data to the story.  I was one of the first surgeons in my area to try the procedure because I wanted to know how it would work in my hands.  We had three models, and product provided by the company for free as field samples.  The national educator was just in from france and one of the models was actually the local rep.  In short there was no response at all noticed by myself or any of the models.  No volume.  No duration.  Would have been over a thousand dollars for the patient.

since that time the national educator has changed jobs and our local rep quit.  

Kevin Robertson, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Vampire facelift!!

Vampire facelift!! Now i've heard everything!! It would be best if you went to an experienced facelift surgeon with proven skills. Hellllllloooooooo mom.