My Mother Wants to Get a 'Vampire Facelift'- What Can She Expect?

My mom keeps mentioning it but I want to be sure its safe and there isn't much information on this topic.

Vampire facelift is a waste

+4

First I would agree with all the skeptics answers listed already.  But I will add some data to the story.  I was one of the first surgeons in my area to try the procedure because I wanted to know how it would work in my hands.  We had three models, and product provided by the company for free as field samples.  The national educator was just in from france and one of the models was actually the local rep.  In short there was no response at all noticed by myself or any of the models.  No volume.  No duration.  Would have been over a thousand dollars for the patient.

since that time the national educator has changed jobs and our local rep quit.  

Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Trademarked Facelift Procedures

+3

Esteph,  I would tell your mother "Caveat Emptor" - buyer beware, (and do your homework- as you are doing now).  Some physicians are using trademarks with enticing catch phrases to attract both patients and other physicians to their "brand".  In some instances, the developers of these trademarked medical procedures make claims which are not substanciated or are misleading.

Please inform your mother that this trademarked "facelift" is not a surgical facelift procedure.  The procedure that you mentioned reportedly involves injecting a hyaluronic acid filler (something that is commonly performed  by nearly all cosmetic surgeons) along with removing and reinjecting a patient's own platelets and stem cells; only in a more concentrated manner.  Although there is some research which shows the potential benefit of stem cells for medical regeneration in general, there are many questions about the long-term efficacy of the procedure described.  Admittedly, it is a very catchy title.  I am a board certified plastic surgeon with 25 years of experience in the field.      

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Vampire facelift very short lasting

+2

This is just a marketing gimmick for a temporary improvement related to the filler effect.  I have seen a few patients who have done this and they have all regretted it.  You can get the same result for a fraction of the cost using Radiesse, Restylane, or Juvederm

Sam Naficy, MD

My Mother Wants to Get a 'Vampire Facelift'- What Can She Expec

+2

To put it succinctly, she can expect to be disappointed. They draw some blood from her and then separate the red cells from the rest of the fluid and then they inject it into areas on her face. If there had been an injury in that same area, it might help it heal faster, but into normal tissue, it will cause some swelling for a short period of time and then return to normal.

Julio Garcia, MD

Vampire facelift

+2

The name alone should dissuade anyone from having this procedure. The most that you could hope for is to turn into a vampire yourself.

This is all marketing.

I would refer you to the comments of the other respondents most importantly the physician who tried and abandoned the procedure.

Ralph R. Garramone, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Vampire facelift demonstrates the magic of marketing

+2

In my opinion, there is nothing spectacular or special about a Vampire Facelift. It is a marketing gimmick.  It is like McDonalds selling a Big Mac...Two all beef patties, "special sauce", lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions, on sesame seed bun.  Well, what has just been described is just a burger and hamburgers come in many varieties as do facelifts. I recommend she consult with 2-3 board-certifed plastic surgeons, listen to and compare recommendations. Buyer beware of something that sounds too good to be true.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Very unscientific.

+2

The news media loves these stories about new surgical procedures.  Just because something gets new coverage it does not make it worthwhile.  The scientific data on this is absent.  Use vaguely imply that there are stem cells in this material that creates the treatment benefit.  Many of these results honestly seem to be achieved by lighting difference in the before and after photos in my opinion.  I would save my money for something that has stood the test of time.  Doing something on the cutting edge will leave you wounded and financially bled with not much to show for the effort.

Vampire face lifts

+2

If you are referring to the use of platelet rich plasma as a filler and facial enhancer it is quite safe. It is made from the patient's own blood platelets and injected into the face. It is a good facial filler especially for under the eyelid area. Some doctors do the initial procedure and then repeat it inane month and report great results. I have found it to be a useful adjunct to the other fillers and treatments that I offer. There are a couple of good studies by  Dr. Sclafani published in the Archives of Facial Plastic Surgery.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

What to expect with a vampire facelift

+1

The vampire facelift is a very safe procedure. With a vampire facelift, we use PRP, or platelet rich plasma. We take some the patient's blood and spin it down into a centrifuge. This will give us the plasma, which has the platelets in it. We remove and discard the red blood cells, and are left with a yellow serum that has all the growth factors. The serum has all the great factors of blood, plus the platelets, which stimulate everything to grow inside, such as the collagen, or angiogenesis. This makes new blood vessels and is great for your skin. You can then inject the PRP into the face, just underneath the skin. Over time, you can get around 10-15% more volume in your face, which can last a few years. It takes about 8 weeks to see. The procedure also gives you a better glow. It helps with your pores and your blemishes, and it gives you overall healthier looking skin.

While your cheeks are full from the PRP injection (cheeks will be full for four or five hours), we also take filler, and will put that in the cheeks and lower eyes. The filler is injected through the same little cannula (hole). The filler will remain for six or seven months. Overall, everything is performed in one procedure that typically only lasts an hour. Adding the filler help with wrinkles that are present, and when combined with the PRP treatment, can really help improve your appearance and give you a younger and more rejuvenated look. Please feel free to ask any specific questions about the procedure, I would be happy to answer them for you!

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Vampire facelift

+1

What can she expect?  Not a whole heckuva lot, in my opinion.

This is essentially a procedure using some filler - which happens to be made from the patient's own blood.  It's not really very different than having a few Juvederm or Restylane injections.  Except there's even less data on longevity of the effect, than there is with these FDA approved fillers.

If she needs a facelift, consider a more traditional surgical one.  I've been underwhelmed with the results I've seen shown of typical "vampire facelifts"!

Thomas Fiala, MD