A lump that has formed on the left side of my mothers nose after cancer removal and reconstructive surgery- what can be done?

In Fall of 2013, my mother had cancer removed from the front of her nose. The next day, she had plastic surgery to repair the lost skin. About a week or so later, a huge lump appeared on the left side of her nose roughly an inch above the plastic surgery scar. Her surgeon told her to massage the area daily and the lump would go away. It's five months later and the lump is still here. The surgeon told her if she wasn't happy with the results, he'd operate again. What should my mother do?

Lump after Plastic Surgery Repair of Nose

+2
Your best option is to return to the doctor who performed the reconstruction and talk to him about your concerns. If the lump is scar tissue, it is possible that injections of a steroid might help or the scar might need to be revised. It is also important to assure that the lump doesn't represent a recurrence or persistence of the skin cancer. Return to the plastic surgeon and ask, and if you don't get the answers or results that you need, return to the doctor who referred you to the plastic surgeon and ask for help or another referral. Good luck.

Lump after Mohs surgery

+1
Your mother should return to the surgeon for an in-person consultation about the scar. It sounds like it could be a keloid scar. In which case, it may not need surgical correction. But I would suggest so return to the plastic surgeon for a follow-up and assessment. 

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

F. Victor Rueckl, MD